Monday, July 13, 2015

10 Best Stand-Alone Books

I was thinking yesterday about how all my favorite books have prequels, sequels, or are members of a series. I absolutely love series, but it takes a certain skill to grab a reader without employing a whole host of books. *glares at the Warriors bookshelves that take up half our public library* Just joking; I have nothing against the Warriors books, they're just what come to mind when I think of extensive series.

So, without further ado(and in no particular order),


My Favorite Stand-Alone Books

Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan

A historical fiction story set during WWII about a group of kids who smuggle gold on their sleds. I really liked it. 

The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo


If you like fantasy and sweet, random stories-- read this! 

The Golden Goblet by Eloise Jarvis McGraw


Another historical fiction, sorry! 

Beowulf 


I'd love to read the edition Tolkien translated someday. But regardless of which edition, this book is terribly awesome. 


Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw


Eloise Jarvis McGraw combines action, romance, and history well. This has been a favorite for almost 7 years, now. Read it!

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom


One of my favorite books. I almost cried at the end, and I never cry during books, so that's a good indication. :)

 The Cat of Bubastes by G. A. Henty


Mom read this to me in 2nd grade, then I picked it up again in 6th grade. It drags in some parts, and yes, it is historical fiction again, but it's well worth the read. 



"There never yet have been, nor are there now, too many good books."--Martin Luther


2 comments:

  1. Great list!:D

    I haven't read Snow Treasure or The Golden Goblet (though we do have the latter), but I do really like the others! They're really awesome:D I've read parts of Mara, and it looked AMAZING. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The Golden Goblet and Mara, Daughter of the Nile are by the same author and so, so good! I'm surprised I haven't talked about them more on this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.