Thursday, July 30, 2015

Pride and Prejudice 1995 As Compared to Pride and Prejudice 2005

*deep breath*

You ready for this?

So, I finished watching the 1995 P&P a few hours ago, and I am ready to compare the two movies. But before I start, in case you're wondering which direction this will go, let me just say that the original post name was going to be Why the '05 Pride and Prejudice is Better. And after watching the whole movie, I'm changing it.

First of all, here's a character comparison. I'll write which movie better betrayed these main characters(listed in no particular order, of course).

Lizzy- '95 "What are men to rocks and mountains?"
Kitty- '95 "I wish someone would die and leave me 10, 000 lb., then all the officers, would be violently in love with me!"
Mr. Bennet- '95 "I have a high respect for your nerves, they have been my friends these 20 long years."
Mrs. Bennet- '95 “Nobody can tell what I suffer! But it is always so. Those who do not complain are never pitied.” 
Mr. Darcy- '05 "Every savage can dance."
Lydia- '95
Mary- '95
Mr. Bingley- '05
Mr. Collins- '95
Jane- '05
Lady Catherine de Bourgh- '95
Mr. Wickham- '95
Georgiana- '95
Charlotte- '05

And here is a comparison of elements I look for in movies--

The Music

However much I love the 1995 music, the 2005 soundtrack will always be the P&P music. Dario Marianelli really knew what he was doing. 

The Casting 

Quite well done in both editions. The only problem is that I can't shake the image of the '05 Lizzy as a pirate. :D But then I can't shake the image of Colonel Branden as a Harry Potter bad guy, either. :D

The Villains 

Since writing my list of favorite villains, that has become something I've starting looking for in books and movies. Mr. Wickham, though not exactly your typical villain, has probably made it onto my characters-I-like-the-least list. He's even worse than Denethor, which coming from a LotR nerd, is saying a lot. So, anyways, 1995 P&P is better in this regard. 
Speaking of LotR, I had a dream once that Sauron was at Lydia's wedding. That was slightly creepy. :D 

The Artsy-ness

2005 P&P, all the way.


The huuuuge poster on my bedroom door. :D 




Some other things about 1995 Pride and Prejudice:



  • Would someone please explain to me all the excitement over Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy? He's great and everything, he was a good Mr. Darcy, but Mr. Darcy was just, better in the 2005 Pride and Prejudice. Maybe that's because I watched the 2005 film first. Can anyone else relate?


  • Also, 5 and 1/2 hours is a little impractical. Just sayin'. 


  • Oh, and the last "proposal" scene! Maybe that was truer to the book, but I put "proposal" in parentheses because there wasn't really a proposal. Not from Mr. Bingley. Not the 2nd from Mr. Darcy. Just from Mr. Collins. And Mr. Darcy's first proposal was there, too. At least the 2005 Pride and Prejudice gave us a decent last proposal scene. *cringes at how anti-1995 P&P that sounds* 


Sorry. I just like that scene from the 2005 P&P(minus that one Hollywood-ish addition, "You have bewitched me body and soul.").  xD

~~~

*whew* What do you think?

"Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion."-Jane from Pride and Prejudice 

Just kidding. My opinion of these movies actually changes pretty often.



3 comments:

  1. Haha, I gotta say, I don't really…care. I mean, I like both P&Ps, but…I don't have terribly passionate opinions on either. I guess, since I grew up with '95 before I watched '05, I feel like the '95 is slightly more Pride and Prejudice-ish, but I do really like the '05, too. It's so beautifully filmed, and The Music is fantastic, isn't it?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and by the by, I like that shot of your room, from what I can see:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the music!!! I have the P&P(2005) piano book; it's the best thing ever. :D
      Thanks! I cut out the unmade bed and cluttered floor, but I'm rather proud of my bookshelves and book/teacup silhouette. xD

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.