Wednesday, September 23, 2015

"Good Morning!" (Tolkien Blog Party)

"Good morning!" he said at last. "We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over the Hill or across The Water."

Good morning, fellow Tolkien-fans! (I'm fully aware that by the time you read this it won't be morning, but it's morning here while I'm typing this, so I couldn't pass up the reference.)

I'm participating in A Tolkien Blog Party of Special Magnificence hosted by Hamlette. I'm quite excited about this!! To start, she posted a list of questions, and I have answered them below :D

Oh, as usual, being a rather new blogger and all that, I still haven't figured out the switching font sizes, so please bear with me.



~Warning: Unmarked Spoilers~

1.  What draws you to Tolkien's stories?  (The characters, the quests, the themes, the worlds, etc.) Hmmm, this is hard. It's so difficult to narrow down; there's memorable characters, exciting action, deep and likable characters, beautiful writing style, Christian themes, original creatures, surprisingly funny lines, . . .

Okay, the Christian themes. :D 

2.  What was the first Middle Earth book you read and/or movie you saw?  What did you think of it?

Book: The Hobbit It was summer reading my mom suggested in preparation for reading it again in 4th grade. I've read it three times since and am once more following Bilbo's adventures while sharing it out-loud with my younger sister.

What did I think of it? *chuckles* I remember thinking I was reading something far ahead of my age reading level. Who knows where I got that idea from; maybe because I knew it was the prequel to LotR? But, yes, I did enjoy it( and no, it wasn't that difficult).

And I'm getting really off topic here, but I started it at a baseball game. That has always stood out in my memory as a weird place to first experience Tolkien. *shrugs*

Movie: Fellowship of the Ring Since we practice a read-the-book-before-the-movie rule at my house, my Dad had told me when I was reading The Hobbit I was old enough to watch LotR if I read the books first. I tried it the summer after reading The Hobbit(or maybe the same summer, I really can't remember these things. . .) and only made it to somewhere around Tom Bombadil's entrance.

I tried again later that school year and only made it half-way through RotK.

Anyways, long answer short, I watched The Fellowship of the Ring a few days after finishing the book, loved it, but still failed to finish reading the whole series until the end of 6th grade. It's sad, really.

(Sorry-- that answer went on much longer than it needed to.)

3.  Name three of your favorite characters and tell us why you like them.

1. Samwise Gamgee 

Chased by armies of orcs, toiling through the middle of Mordor, and bidding goodbye to Frodo, Sam still manages to maintain a cheerful attitude, sense of practicality, and deep hope. And when he marries at the end, THE FEELS!! ;)

2.  Eowyn

I don't know exactly. For one thing, she's a well-done female character. She also the only main female character who's also human(Galadriel, Arwen, and Goldberry are elves and Shelob is a spider), which makes her more relatable.

3. Gandalf

Although, Gloin, Bilbo, and Gollum all make it into bits and pieces of Lord of the Rings, Gandalf is the only character who plays a core role in both LotR and The Hobbit. Of course, part of my liking him is due to Ian McKellen's portrayal, but it's more than just that.


4.  Are there any secondary characters you think deserve more attention?

King Theoden


Saruman(he's high on my favorite-villains list)

Beregond

Tom Bombadil

Eomer

5.  What Middle Earth character do you relate to the most?

Despite my Aragorn quiz-results, possibly Eowyn. Or maybe Frodo. 

6.  If you could ask Professor Tolkien one Middle Earth-related question, what would you like to ask him?

Did you ever consider not killing off Gollum, and if so what would his ending be? The first time I read the book, that was the most heartbreaking death(it's ridiculous, I know).  

7.  Are there any pieces of Middle Earth merchandise you would particularly like to own, but don't?

I already own the Lord of the Rings books/movies, The Hobbit, AUJ, tBoFA, Lord of the Rings trivial pursuit, a LotR movie poster, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Official Movie Guide, The Lord of the Rings Official Movie Guide, a replica of the ring, and a LotR piano music book, so there isn't too much left I don't have! ;)

I would like another poster maybe(although my room is a little maxed out with six posters). Arwen's necklace is pretty, too. 

8.  What battle would you absolutely not want to be part of?

The Battle of Pelennor Fields. 

9.  Would you rather eat a meal at the Rivendell or Bag End?

Rivendell. 

10.  List up to ten of your favorite lines/quotes from the books or movies.


Book Quotes-

*consults Goodreads
There is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for. -Sam

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo."So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” 

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. -Bilbo

“I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.” (I actually don't remember who said this, does anyone else know?)

“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?” -Bilbo

Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day,
To claim our long-forgotten gold.

Movie Quotes: 

*consults Pinterest*

Gimli: Never thought I'd die side by side with an Elf.
Legolas: What about side by side with a friend?
Gimli: Aye, I could do that.

Merry: Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this journey, quest, thing.
Pippin: Well, that rules you out, Pip.
Elrond: You shall be the fellowship of the ring.
Pippin: Great! Where are we going

Thorin: I want to know - why did you come back?
Bilbo: Look, I know you doubt me, I know you always have. And you're right. . . I often think of Bag End. I miss my books, and my armchair, and my garden. See, that's where I belong, that's home. That's why I came back. . . 'cause you don't have one, a home. It was taken from you. But I will help you take it back if I can. 

And last, but not least-- 

Legolas: They're taking the hobbits to Isengard! 

(Mostly just because of the over-dramatic way he says it.) *grins*

~~~

That was fun! :D 

8 comments:

  1. The Christian themes!! YES!!

    I like Eowyn, too! Good point about her being the only girl that's a human.

    The quote "I will not say, 'do not weep,' for not all tears are an evil," I remember at the end of ROTK Gandalf says it to the Hobbits' when he is going to the Grey Heavens. :) :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just thought of it while I was typing, but it's kind of funny isn't it?

      OH, right! Now that you say so I remember. That scene is so sad. . .

      Delete
  2. *consults Goodreads* Haha:D

    Huh. I hadn't really thought about it, but you're right--Eowyn IS the only human female character! That's interesting…that's very interesting…

    I think I relate to Frodo, too! That's cool:D

    I had fun reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, practically quotes you see quoted here are from Goodreads. :D

      Yeah, isn't that funny? Well, I SHOULD clarify-- there's also Ioreth who's a minor character from RotK. I had to google her name, though. I only vaguely remembered her.

      And then in the Hobbit there are practically NO female characters!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Good movie quotes! I got carried away with book quotes on my list and didn't leave any room for movie quotes. I do really like that Legolas/Gimli friend quote though.
    Beregond would be a great character to see more of! I forget about him (blushes) but he is a nice addition. Alas not everything made it into the movies. :(
    My older siblings and I had to read the books before the movies too.... everyone younger than I somehow got away with not doing so though! Something I'm obviously still bitter about. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well the books are richer in quotes but I wanted to add a few lines from the movie, too. Yes, that Legolas/Gimli quote is so happy.

      Yep! I wish he'd been in the movies.

      That's funny! That's why I'm the only kid in my family to see the movies. Most of siblings would enjoy the movies, but they're not so passionate about it as to read a huge 1,000+ pg. book. =)

      Delete
  4. Ioreth is human too! But Eowyn is the only female human character with a name in the movies. I almost put "Ioreth" down as my answer to the "overlooked minor characters" question because she cracks me up soooooooo much -- I laugh aloud when I read her scene, I truly do. (My best friend, on the other hand, is very vexed by her, so I know my glee over her nattering is not universal.)

    Anyway, great answers! The Christian themes are really cool -- especially various redemptive arcs going on. I find Boromir's fall from grace and repentance especially magnificent, and I don't think that arc would have worked as well coming from a non-Christian.

    I think Gollum is one of the great tragic characters of Western Literature, so I don't find your sorrow for him ridiculous at all.

    And I didn't begin reading LOTR until I was a senior in college, so your finishing it in 6th grade is NOT SAD! Not at all.

    Thanks for joining the party! Happy Tolkien Week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I kind of thought about her, but didn't mention it because I forgot her name. :) She IS funny! This may only be influenced by my watching P&P once and a half in the last 24 hours, but she reminds me of Mrs. Bennet.

      Plenty of redemptive elements, for sure!

      Oh, good, I'm glad you don't think that's silly! ;)

      Thanks for letting me come in on short notice; this week was fun!!

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.