Tuesday, September 1, 2015

My Sub-Favorite Movies

I was reflecting just now on the fact that I'd devote whole posts to Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia, but only throw out passing comments on my sub-favorite movies. You see there's this hierarchy I have of my favorite movies. The top five favorite-favorite movies(with 1 being the best) are:

1. Return of the King
2. Fellowship of the Ring
3. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
4. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
5. The Two Towers

*cough* Yes, I'm a fantasy fangirl(hey, alliteration!), but I can boast a tad more variety in the other favorites. And so, these, in countdown format, are my sub-favorites:

*drumroll* 

10. Prince Caspian 

Really, this shouldn't get a place on my list. Really, it shouldn't. But. . . it's close enough to the book I love that I still enjoy watching it. I always chuckle/roll my eyes at the end of the movie(why do they think movies need romance?) and then forget my sarcastic remarks once The Call starts playing. I love that song. And the quotes, though! It's one of the most quotable movies, ever

By the way, while I have you here, have I mentioned the parallelisms between The Chronicles of Narnia and The Hobbit trilogies? The first movie starts out faithful to the book, the second one strays rather far from the book and introduces a couple face-palm love scenes, then the third is crazy bittersweet and action-packed and more faithful than the second, though not as faithful as the first. But, I digress. . .  

Miraz: "This is not a question of bravery."

Edmund: "So you're bravely refusing to fight a swordsman half your age?"

~~~

Caspian: "If we're taking a vote, I'm with him."

9. Captain America: The First Avenger 

It has the action, the WWII setting, the british accent, Elrond, I mean, uh, Hugo Weaving. :)

"If you have something to say, now's the best time to keep it to yourself!" (Or something along those lines)

8. The Sound of Music 

I love this movie sooooo much. The music, the characters, the setting, the length(yes, yes, I'm a sucker for long movies), and the history. 


"The hills are alive with the sound of music!"

7. Mr. Holmes 

My review is over at my Wordpress blog.

"If I ever write a story myself it will be to correct the millions of misconceptions created by his[Watson's] creative license." 

6. It's A Wonderful Life 

This movie may be the movie I've seen the most times-- about 9 viewings and counting. It's a family tradition to watch it every Christmas season and so each time progressively understand and appreciate it better. If you haven't seen this, you should. It's the bestest. *grins*

"Every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings!"

5. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 

You can read my review of the trilogy here. Watching the trailers or clips of the actors and going to see it opening day(or the day after, I honestly can't remember) then discussing it with my friends and listening to The Last Goodbye are some of the best memories in my life. Or something like that. ;)  

4. The Giver 

You've probably heard me mention this movie before. It's hard to explain why I like it so much, but it's nostalgic and just. . .good.

3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 

Do I really need to say more? :D

"Good morning!"

2. The Princess Bride 

Although I mentioned Prince Caspian as being quotable, Princess Bride takes the cake. I can't go five minutes in that movie without laughing, much to the annoyance of my poor friends agreeing to watch it with me! 

Buttercup: "You mock my pain."

Wesley: "Life is pain highness, anyone who says differently is selling something."

~~~

Miracle Max: "Have fun storming the castle!"

~~~

"Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" 

~~~ 

"Stop rhyming now! I mean it!"


"Anybody want a peanut?"

1. Pride and Prejudice(2005)




This picture explains everything. It has an incredible soundtrack, beautiful videography, hilarious quotes, I could go on. . . (: I wrote a P&P comparison-review-thing over here.

"I have a high respect for your nerves, they have been my friends these 20 long years."

So how 'bout you? Which movies are on your sub-favorites list? 





2 comments:

  1. Haha! This is awesome!

    "THE CALL." I KNOW. It's so...gahhhh.

    Lovely choices!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      YES, YES, YES, A KINDRED SPIRIT!! *ahem* Sorry, I just love that song to pieces. (:

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.