Monday, September 14, 2015

Wisdom from Dr. Seuss

A few months ago while digging about for an appropriate quote to conclude my review of The Hobbit trilogy, I chose a line from America's favorite picture book writer. Or, one of the favorites anyways:)

I'd usually settle on some profound quote from Gandalf or maybe from one of the actors. Instead, the most applicable helpful concluding words were:

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." -Dr. Seuss
This post is already sounding cheesy.

Anywho, I pasted it into the bottom of my post, because that is what The Hobbit fans need to hear. Maybe it was just me, but my two main reactions to The Battle of Five Armies previews, quotes, pictures, and eventually opening-day tickets were 1). excitement(like crazy fangirling, irrational excitement), 2). sadness(like crazy, fangirling, irrational sadness!).

My reaction during the first viewing was something like "Whoa, what just happened?"

My reaction during the second viewing-- sadness. (This is still sounding cheesy, but bear with me!)

I was sad *Spoilers* Thorin died, sad Fili and Kili died, sad when Bilbo said goodbye to the dwarves, *End of Spoilers* and mostly just sad it was all over.

There's nothing wrong with feeling sad or crying over a story(especially sad stories), but looking back I wish I'd given more to savoring the story rather than getting all worked up because it was all over.

Little Women

Don't take this the wrong way: it's good to be touched by a story. It's good to enjoy it so much you moan a little when it ends. Just don't let yourself forget how much you love it in mourning that it's done.

So next time I watch The Battle of Five Armies or Return of the King or read The Last Battle I'm going to give effort into really enjoying it rather than pulling a classic fangirl move and crying tragically at the last scene/chapter(although that very well may happen, too!).

After all, aren't all good stories only echoes of the one, ultimate story which continues forever?

"All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before." -C. S. Lewis

6 comments:

  1. OH, this is so true!! What makes a book so pleasurable, is the memories you made while reading it. And they wouldn't be special if they went on for ever right?

    I love that C. S. Lewis quote by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Abigail!!

      Yep, it's my favorite excerpt from any book ever written:D

      Delete
  2. I love the Dr.Seuss quote!
    I cried so hard at BOTFA at the end, and I cried all the way home. ;)
    The C.S. Lewis quote!! I love that one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I kind of have a thing for quotes, haha:)

      I cried for awhile, too. Listening to "The Last Goodbye" even makes me cry sometimes!

      Delete
  3. This is such a beautiful post, Meredith! (How on earth did I miss it? I'm so sorry about that.)

    Anyway, what you said here was perfect. "There's nothing wrong with feeling sad or crying over a story (especially sad stories), but looking back I wish I'd given more to savoring the story rather than getting all worked up because it was all over." So true. I get "all worked up" far too often myself, but, ya know, it's a learning process, and He will help us!:)

    "I'm going to give effort into really enjoying it rather than pulling a classic fangirl move and crying tragically at the last scene/chapter(although that very well may happen, too!)." Hahaha! That's the truth, though. Do you ever feel that perhaps when you "get all fangirly" you're actually putting on emotions occasionally? I have to guard against that, too, because you know, we don't want to cheapen the genuine feelings we have about a story by whipping ourselves up into a schoolgirl frenzy. Know what I mean?

    The conclusion of this post, though…MAH GASH. Well done!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm so glad you agree(it was partly your appreciation of that Dr. Seuss quote I'd used in my Hobbit review that inspired this post). :)

      I think it's funny that the concept of fangirling is so often wrapped up in sadness over stories when there's a whole host of other emotions books/movies should evoke(surprise, joy, peace, etc.) Part of this is probably due to the popular books now being full of character deaths, but still.

      Yes, I know what you mean!

      Well, adding a C. S. Lewis quote couldn't hurt, right? :D

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.