Friday, October 23, 2015

Why You Should Read: The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

All the way up the river she's been holding back somehow, waiting. Now you'll both have to wait. I'm not going to disappoint her, Kit. When I take you on board the Witch, it's going to be for keeps. -Nat, from The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Here's a book I haven't talked about much.

Yes, that's a picture of my blog post on the computer screen. :D 


Firstly, the top reasons it's worth reviewing(we'll skip a synopsis this time, you could look it up on Goodreads if you're interested):

1. It's a YA novel I actually liked(YA is a category sadly neglected in my reading choices).

2. It's informative.

3. It mixes romance, action, and history well.

4. It's not too long nor too short.

Likely my fourth point sounded a little odd. I included that because some books(*coughcoughLesMiserablescoughcough*) drag, and then others are so good, you wish they'd last longer.

Approximate Age Range- Although marked as a Young Adult novel, there's nothing to make it inappropriate for 10 yr. +

Number of Pages- Obviously this depends on the copy, but my medium-font-edition is 249 pg.

Favorite Character- Kit 

Other Good Books By Elizabeth George Speare: The Bronze Bow, Calico Captive

Read it and tell me what you think!

Next Book: The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom

12 comments:

  1. I really liked that book as well! :) For my class it was optional to read it, so I think most of them opted to skip it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For us it was a choice between that and The Sign of the Beaver, but the Witch of Blackbird Pond is way better in my opinion:)

      Delete
  2. I read it for the first time this earlier this year (I was sick and bored and it came in a birthday package at just the right time). I really liked it. I had read 'The Bronze Bow' and 'The Sign of the Beaver' before and I think of all three, this one was my favorite. Like you said, it mixes romance, action and history very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, another fan! :D Ooh, that would be a good book to read while being sick. I'll have to remember that!

      Delete
  3. Oh, this book. It is so sweet, I loved it. I loved the bonding between Kit and the old "witch", I can't remember her name. The Bronze Bow was also good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I can't remember her name either!

      Yes it was! I've read both of those twice now. :D

      Delete
    2. Yes, I since remembered that. How could I forget? ; )

      Delete
  4. I had completely forgotten about this book! I loved it (read it years ago) I kind of want to read it again now that it was brought up (although I rarely read a book twice, there's too many new ones I have to get through in my lifetime:) I guess we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it twice and it's worth the re-read!

      (But I completely understand about too many new books to get through!)

      Delete
  5. I read this book in class and ***loved it***. Nat and Mercy and Hannah and of course Kit...I also read The Bronze Bow and felt so many feels. Love it also. And The Hiding Place is so. good. (there were times when I was amazed that an actual person (Betsy) could be so...perfect.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, Ilse!

      The feels! Yes!

      Mmmm, I'll have to get around to my Hiding Place review soon, I'd kind of forgotten about it...

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.