Tuesday, November 24, 2015

My Opinions on the Major Characters from "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader"

Technically, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is my favorite Narnia movie, but it's too stuffed with FEELS(yes, that needed to be in all caps xD) for a comprehensive review. Not, of course, to suggest that The Voyage of the Dawn Treader isn't shot through with feelsiness, either. :D Look at that, a new word-- "feelsiness". Well, I'm proud of it;)


Warning: **Unmarked Spoilers**

Lucy- 

Wow, how did Georgie Henley get to be so grown up?? Like, she used to be tiny. I still like her, though. :D

Throughout most of the movie, she struggled with vanity and discontent, all culminating in her reading the spell to "beautify" herself, and in so doing debunking the subtle, but popular "looks are everything" Hollywood theme displayed in many movies. 

"When you grow up you should be just like you." 

Edmund- 




Edmund transitions nicely from the rebel in The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe to a caring older brother/friend to Lucy and Eustace. You can see him wrestling with disgust for Eustace, but he's quick to forgive and encourage him after the dragon-transformation.


Intake Officer: "Are you sure you're eighteen?"
Edmund: "Why? Do I look older?"



Eustace-  


Eustace is like TLTW-Edmund with a twist. In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Edmund's older siblings(particularly Peter) undermine his maturity while lavishing Lucy with inordinate attention, leading to his jealousy and rebellious tendencies. On the other hand, Eustace is an only child, who's awkward and proud among other children, resenting his cousins' presence. When Lucy and Edmund accidentally drag him into the "make-believe" fairy world, he's both terrified and unimpressed at once. I felt for his bewilderment and fish-out-of-water experiences yet welcomed his dragon-transformation, all the same. 

"The only consolation is everyone is finally as miserable as I am. Except for that show-off talking rat. He's one of those annoying 'glass is always half-full' types."

Caspian- 

Honestly, not much to say about him. He's probably my least favorite of the major characters. Bit underdeveloped, in my unexperienced opinion. 

I did enjoy watching the subtle(or, not) character clashes between Edmund and him. 

You're a...mouse?? 

^^Wrong movie, sorry. 



And a random Prince Caspian gif, because it's epic. 

~~~
 So who are your favorite characters? What are your thoughts on Caspian? 

Thank you so much for reading! Next, I'll post a list of my favorite quotes from C. S. Lewis.


4 comments:

  1. Lovely post!

    I really liked Lucy, and I think that is was nice that they added the fact that Lucy struggled with vanity, because I think everyone does. But I love the fact that she resolved it, and was able to pass advice on to that little girl... Gail?

    Edmund is awesome as usual. He has always had such awesome character development.

    Eustace I was really annoyed with, becuase he was just so obnoxious. But I think he had the best character development out of them all.

    And as for Caspian, I have always liked him, because he was one of my first crushes.. ;) I think Caspian's development was more in Prince Caspian, so he didn't really have much of an interesting story in this one. I think if they focused more on him searching for the lost lords, not so much the green mist and all that jazz, that would have made him better.

    Again, a great post, and I loved that gif of Edmund!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Gael, yes, not a book character, but I liked that they used her as someone for Lucy to spill her newly gained character growth:)

      He does! I'd have to say he's my favorite Pevensie.

      Caspian wasn't very developed in the book either, so it makes sense, I guess. And I like Caspian, too, just not as much...

      Which gif? Both are fantastical:D

      Delete
  2. This was great!:D

    (Wow, and very well-written. "Undermine his maturity while lavishing Lucy with inordinate attention"--LOVE IT.)

    I really like how Georgie handled Lucy's struggles with self-image and yes, vanity. It was great.

    Okay, speaking of Prince Caspian (I was going to tell you this anyway, but moving on), we're re-watching it, and we'll probably finish it tonight. MEREDITH "THE CALL" IS COMING AND I DON'T KNOW IF I'M SUFFICIENTLY EMOTIONALLY STABLE TO HANDLE IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was going to write a full-blown review, but it was going to be too lengthy...

      Aw, inordinate has been a favorite word of mine lately. : )

      I know! It WAS great.

      Oh, my goodness, good luck. ;) HOW CAN ONE SONG BE SO CRAZY EMOTIONAL?? :D

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.