Friday, January 8, 2016

Angel on the Square Book Review

I chose this book as my first re-read of the year, for the Hard Core Re-Reading Challenge. My last read was on audio a year and a few months ago. This time, reading it in print reminded me how much I love this little story, and refreshed my memory so I can finish the series.

Goodreads Synopsis: In the fall of 1914, safe behind palace walls, Katya Ivanova sees St. Petersburg as a magical place.The daughter of a lady-in-waiting to the Empress, Katya spends all her time with the Grand Duchesses; the royal family feels like her own. But outside the palace, a terrible war is sweeping through Europe, and Russia is beginning to crumble under the weight of a growing revolution. Now, as Katya's once-certain future begins to dissolve, she must seek to understand what is happening to her beloved country and, for the first time in her life, take charge of her own destiny. 

^^Believe me, it's less cheesy and stereo-typical than this makes it sound. :) 

Angel on the Square must be one of the best historical fiction books I've read lately. Gloria Whelan coaxed the bold, big font pages into evoking strong sympathy for the heroes and not-so-heroic main characters, then hatred towards the villains.

None of the characters were delicate, shallow shadows, but rather, sinful, warm, and genuine humans, so that began to I appreciate nearly each character for who he/she was.

That said, Angel on the Square does slip into some un-original tricks. The metaphors and basic character structures sag into the over-used realm, but the novel pulls off a little sparkle and freshness, anyways.

If you're looking for a simple, sweet study of Russian history, try it! The book does weigh with a teensy excessive history and gloom towards the end, but offered a beautiful story, regardless.

Favorite Character: Misha


4 comments:

  1. I do like this story! And there's not all that much historical fiction set in Russia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, there aren't! But I think there are some follow-up books to AotS.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. I know of one,The Impossible Journey, but I don't know if there are others.

      Delete
    3. I looked it up on Goodreads, and there are three follow-up books, but it looks like only "The Impossible Journey" has a direct connection to AotS(?). The others just happen in Russia.

      I guess I'll have to read them to find out!

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.