Thursday, January 14, 2016

Inkling Explorations[January 2016]

My first time to participate in Heidi's monthly link-up! : ) January is:

A New Year of 'new beginning' passage in literature

When I read the words "new beginning" the first passage that came to mind was the below quote from Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol.

Ebenezer's overnight shift from his tasteless, miserly habits to a warm, grandfather-esque disposition, must be one of the most famous "new beginning" experiences in literature, outside perhaps of dramatic conversion stories. So here you are--

He was so fluttered and glowing with his good intentions that his broken voice would scarcely answer to his call. He had been sobbing violently in his conflict with the Spirit, and his face was wet with tears. 
"They are not torn down," cried Scrooge, folding one of his bed curtains in his arms--"they are not torn down, rings and all. They are here--I am here--the shadows of the things that would have been may be dispelled. They will be. I know they will!"
His hands were busy with his garments all this time turning them inside out, putting them on upside down, tearing them, mislaying them, making them parties to every kind of extravagance.
"I don't know what to do!" cried Scrooge, laughing and crying in the same breath, and making a perfect Lacoön of himself with his stockings. "I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as merry as a schoolboy. I am as giddy as a drunken man. A merry Christmas to everybody! A happy New Year to all the world! Hallo here! Whoop! Hallo!"
Have you read The Christmas Carol? What did you think?

12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad and excited you could join in, Meredith! :)

    I actually haven't read TCC yet, but you've thoroughly whetted my appetite. :) Have you ever seen the Alistair Sims film version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I'm glad I piqued your interest! No, I haven't! But my family has read the book, attended two play-versions, and watched two movie editions, so maybe next Christmas we'll try that. It's kind of a familial interest:)

      Delete
    2. I hope you can! And ohhhh... I can't believe I forgot!! YES. My family's also attended a play version... three times, I think? They were actually musical versions (well, repeats of the same production on different years) and quite fun. ;D

      Delete
    3. How fun! I was so hoping the play we attended last December would be a musical, but it wasn't. Oh, well. :)

      Delete
  2. Meredith - I remember the actor in the play we saw saying these words. This is a great passage! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh--I'm SO happy you chose this passage! I LOVE it. I've never been a huge Dickens fan, but this is one of my favorites. (Heidi--you should definitely give A Christmas Carol a try. It's magic.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, isn't it beautiful? Magic is a good word. I actually am a Charles Dickens-fan of sorts, but I was thinking last night of how much more cheerful A Christmas Carol is than his other works.

      Delete
  4. Such a great pick! I do like "The Christmas Carol" a lot, and my favorite movie version is the Patrick Stewart, which I highly recommend. I'm not a huge Dickens fan... yet. I keep trying him. But I do like this and A Tale of Two Cities :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! One of the movie versions my family watched may have been the Patrick Stewart, but I'm not sure...

      Ah, Tale of Tale of Two Cities will probably be my next Dickens read! It takes place during the French Revolution, so that can only mean good things. ;)

      Delete
  5. Great choice, Meredith! I've never actually read the book, but the Muppets' movie version with Michael Caine was a sort of tradition in our family for quite a while, so I'm pretty familiar with the story :) This sounds like the book is written beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, we watched that one year. :)

      It is! I know you're not overly fond of Charles Dickens, but I think you might like this. It's much "lighter" and definitely less grim than his other books.

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.