Friday, April 1, 2016

An Old Fashioned Girl Book Review



Another book review! It feels like that's ALL I've been writing lately, but when school ends all that will change...let's hope.
781557
This has to be one of the prettiest book covers ever. :)

I really, really liked An Old Fashioned Girl. In fact, it's now my third favorite Alcott novel( the others are Little Women and Little Men).

It's a simple story, really, describing the episodes and interactions between its heroine Polly and the Shaw family with whom she goes to stay. Most of the plot-lines originate from the fact that she's a simple pastor's-daughter, country girl, and they are extravagant, wealthy city people.

I relate to Polly on many levels that I don't with other fictional heroines, although(sadly) I have nothing near he capacity for natural goodness! The parents are rather underdeveloped for the first half of the story, but by the end, Mr. Shaw was an likable person, while Mrs. Shaw would be right up there with Mrs. Bennet on my list of fictional moms I'm thankful aren't mine. :)

Their oldest, Fanny, is everything I dislike in my characters: condescending, flirtatious, frivolous, selfish, and maintaining a pretty poor relationship with her parents. She smooths out considerably before the story ends, though, due to Polly's influence. I think every reader can find a balance between the model Polly and realistic Fanny, only hoping to be more like the former than the later.

Following in her sister's habits, the younger siblings each grow and mature beautifully over the story.

Like I said, it's a very good book, some not-so-subtle morals sneak in occasionally, and there's romance for readers who enjoy that. If you've read it, what do you think?

Recommended for Fans Of: Little Women, Lousia May Alcott
Rating: 4 stars


4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love An Old-Fashioned Girl! I think you've convinced me to re-read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I'm so glad I finally read it.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read it for many years, but I read it several times as a tween and teen, and liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very cool! I definitely plan on returning to it someday.

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.