Monday, April 25, 2016

S&S Book Review

It's rather embarrassing to admit, but I'm not very good at reading Jane Austen. I always love the way she ends her books and their movie adaptions, but it just takes. . .effort, you know? It's quite difficult to keep track of all the minor characters and I'm not the biggest fan of her writing style.

However, I like everything I've read by her and now Sense and Sensibility the most.

I chose S&S for Lois's monthly Classics Challenge. April's category was A Book I'd Seen the Movie/TV Show/Miniseries of. There's actually a family rule in our house that we must read the book before watching the movie. And when my mom hosted a S&S'95 movie night for the ladies in our church I tried to read the book but I was only 11 or 10 and I only got about a third of the way through it, so she gave me an exception.

I remember liking the movie, except the casting for Colonel Brandon, because I'd seen the Harry Potter movies and my mind didn't accept Alan Rickman as a "good guy".

Anyways.

Book Synopsis from the Back Cover:
Sense and Sensibility

Jane Austen's first published novel Sense and Sensibility is a wonderfully entertaining tale of flirtation and folly that revolves around two starkly different sisters, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. While Elinor is thoughtful, considerate, and calm, her younger sister is emotional and wildly romantic. Both are looking for a husband, but neither Elinor's reason nor Marianne's passion can lead them to perfect happiness--as Marianne falls for an unscrupulous rascal and Elinor becomes attached to a man who's already engaged. 

I really loved this story. It served to hold my attention better than I expected and the plot twists were amazing.

The characters were so developed and three-dimensional. The heroes, Elinor, Colonel Brandon, Edward Ferrars, were more than likable, and the villains, Willoughby, Mrs. John Dashwood, and Lucy Steeles(that was her name, right?) were detestable. :)

The plot twists could contend with those of a YA novel, although I already knew most of what was going to happen.

Sense and Sensibility kept me up late at night and I would certainly recommend it to anyone wishing to sample Jane Austen, looking for a clean romance novel, or a fan of Pride and Prejudice.

Rating: 5 stars
Favorite Character: Edward Ferrars

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying Austen more! I must admit that I didn't really like her until I was in my late 20s -- until then, the only one of her books I truly liked was Persuasion (still my favorite), though I liked several movie adaptations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ah, I liked Persuasion, but I suspect I'll like it more next time I read it. I did like the 2008 movie version.

      Delete
  2. I have never read S&S, but I have seen the movie. Sounds like a good read!! I nominated you for the 3 Day Quote challenge, if you're interested. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good read! A little slow going at first, but very captivating towards the end.

      Thanks for the nomination! I'll check it out when I get a chance. :)

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.