Friday, May 13, 2016

Peter Pan Book Review

Note: Because I've read Peter Pan multiple times and formed a new opinion each time, this review is going to be a little disjointed. Please bear with me. :)

"All children, except one, grow up."

And thus begins J. M. Barrie's novelization of his successful Christmas play, Peter Pan. It has pirates, mermaids, flying, fairies, and everything else an imagination may birth.


Peter PanBack-Cover Synopsis: When Peter Pan flies into the house of the Darling children it is only the beginning of their magical adventures with Peter, the fairy Tinker Bell, and the evil Captain Hook.












It's an odd story, to be honest. I'm not even sure why I like it. If I hadn't read this before when I was little, I'd probably completely miss its magic and humor. But I have read it and now I see Peter Pan  as charming, entertaining, and reminiscent of the make-believe adventures I experienced.

The writing doesn't blow me away, (excepting Peter) the characters are a little shallow, and the protagonist is more than a bit unvirtuous.  But if you overlook those, and view it as a flashback to childhood, I think there's much to enjoy in this story.

Okay, I'm not really sure WHAT I think, so what are your thoughts on Peter Pan?

Rating: 3 stars

**I reviewed this for Lois's Re-Reading Challenge.**

8 comments:

  1. Huh. Unless I am mistaken, the last time I read "Peter Pan" was before I met you!
    I recall being about eight and adoring it.
    You have inspired me to reread it, m' dear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was a long time ago! I didn't know you liked to read then?

      Well, good! :)

      Delete
  2. Hmm...I should read it...I should read it not...I should read it...I don't even know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You MIGHT like it...you might not...you might like it...you might not... ;)

      Delete
  3. Awesome review!

    I love this book, dearly :) I first read it when I was probably thirteen or so, after having grown up with the movies, and my initial reaction was something along the lines of "What the what?" But then as I reread it, I began to see how clever the writing really is, and I especially fell in love with the character of Hook (don't judge me, Lizzy). So, yeah. I wuvs it muchly :D

    Glad you like it, even if you don't know quite why ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It didn't turn out like I wanted, but at least I deemed it "publish-able". :D

      That's funny because I was totally more familiar with the book than with any of the movies. :) I like Hook, too! As a villain, I should add.

      Delete
  4. I really love the idea of a boy who never grows up. Have you read the Peter Pan books by Dave Barry and Ridley Scott Pearson? The first one is Peter and the Starcatchers. They're inventive and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly an intriguing concept.

      Yes! I read the first one. I'd love to read the others, along with other Peter Pan sequels I've heard are good, but just haven't gotten around to them yet.

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.