Sunday, June 12, 2016

About Meeting Christopher Paolini

(For those of you who didn't know, Christopher Paolini is the author of the best-selling Inheritance Cycle which consists of Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, and Inheritance)

It's late and I need to brush my teeth and go to bed, but first I want to quickly tell you about meeting Christopher Paolini. :D

Thursday, last week, I was volunteering at the library, and re-shelving some YA novels which brought me to the vicinity of the Inheritance Cycle. I remembered that, although I really enjoyed Eragon, I had never gotten through any of the other books. I knew they were heavily paralleled to Star Wars and Lord of the Rings and otherwise maybe not the best books ever written, but I had fun with Eragon and it bothers me to leave a series unfinished.

A few minutes later, when my Dad came to pick me up from the library, he was looking at an audio copy of Brisingr. I asked him about it and he told me that he had heard Christopher Paolini was coming to our local Barnes and Nobles! I was pretty excited, and he said he'd take me.

We got there Sat. afternoon 40 min. early, and the line was huuuge. Sadly, we still hadn't come early enough to join in the Question and Answer session that was going on, so my brother and I stood in line and waited while my Dad purchased a paperback copy Eldest with the gift card from my birthday over a year ago. After a little, a Barnes and Nobles employee offered to give me a pink bracelet so I could browse the store, and when the book-signing began, "they" would let the pink bracelet-people cut to the front.

This sounded like a good idea, so my brother looked at technology books, I flipped through War and Peace, Wives and Daughters, and read Ivanhoe, and my Dad ordered a coffee and read a little bit. They still hadn't called for the pink-bracelet wearers, so I googled and read a bio of Christopher Paolini.

About three hours later, we were finally allowed to skip to the front of a long, twisty line. We talked to the friendly college students behind us a little, and I'd counted 5 people wearing Star Wars shirts.

Finally, we'd advanced to the second-to-first people in line. After the lady before us had gotten her book signed, I handed a Barnes and Nobles worker my book and my Dad handed another Barnes and Nobles lady his phone so she could snap a picture.

Mr. Paolini was really friendly and down-to-earth. It was really surreal to talk with one of the most successful living American authors. He asked me if I'd read the whole series(I told him the truth, of course :D), told me to enjoy the other books, and drew a large signature under the title page.


The Inheritance Cycle may not be the most well-written series ever, but what I've read is fun, and I'm thankful to have met an author who's still definitely better than me. :D 

It's also my first signed book I've ever owned, which is very exciting!!!!

Have you read The Inheritance Cycle?

Have you met any authors before? 

Thanks for reading!

17 comments:

  1. Wow, cool! My friend Anna would probably faint if she had a chance to get her copy signed. I've never read the series or gotten an author's signature, but hopefully I will be able to someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish I were a bigger fan, because then it would have been more exciting, but it was pretty exciting anyways. :D

      Delete
  2. I haven't read the Inheritance Cycle, but I have gone to an author talk (Daniel James Brown, the man who wrote The Boys in the Boat. It's a great book, and the talk was really interesting).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool!! I haven't read them, but I have heard a lot about them.

    The only "famous" person that I have met was Contemporary Christian artist Josh Wilson. We went to a Josh Wilson/Steven Curtis Chapman/Andrew Peterson concert and afterwards, Josh just came out into the lobby and was signing things and talking to people. It was really cool because one of my little sisters (who was 3 at the time) really, really liked his music and he actually held her for a picture. It was super adorable and she was speechless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I'm thinking of posting a review when I finish the whole series, but until them I couldn't really say one way or another about recommending them.

      Hmmm, I hadn't heard of Josh Wilson, but I do know who Andrew Peterson is. Awww, that's so cute and awesome!

      Delete
    2. They have been recommended to me by multiple friends, I just haven't been able to get my hands on them.

      It was super adorable!

      Delete
  4. That sounds awesome! Lucky you, meeting a Real Life Author. (Though I think I asked a question in a Question and Answer session with Jerry Spinelli at a big Book Fair...IDK.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite! ;)

      Ooh, I haven't read any of his books, but "talking" to Jerry Spinelli would have been very cool.

      Delete
  5. Ooo, I'm so jealous, I LOVE the Inheritance cycle :D. It's so exciting that you got Eldest signed! (also, just sayin', if you like the books I wouldn't advise watching the movie based off them. It really wasn't any good.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Savannah! Yes, as you probably gathered, I was *pretty* excited!

      So I've heard. A lot of people at the book signing were talking about how terrible it was, and I'd read that before, too, so I don't think I'll watch it anytime soon(if at all!).

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed the Eragon books, so much so that I have them all in hardcover. I know some people call them derivative, but really, they're just following the monomythic structure that we've had since Homer. Yes, Star Wars and LOTR and many other stories follow that structure too, but that doesn't mean that following it yourself means you're copying them.

    Anyway, so cool that you got to meet him! I've met two famous authors and gotten books signed by them, Ray Bradbury and Laurie R. King, and both times it was such a thrill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your review of Eragon, actually, and I really agreed with a lot of what you said. I've read Eragon twice, and it's definitely enjoyable. :)

      Thanks! Wow, meeting Ray Bradbury would be super awesome. As, I'm sure would be meeting Laurie R. King, although I'm not very familiar with her books.

      Delete
    2. The actual meeting for Ray Bradbury wasn't particularly thrilling -- he just signed my book and I moved along. But I did get to hear him give an informal talk beforehand, which was fascinating.

      Meeting Laurie R. King was much more satisfying, as she actually chatted with me a little bit because I asked her to sign two books, one for me and one for the college lit prof who introduced me to her books. That one was part of a reading with a Q&A session that I actually managed to ask two reasonably intelligent questions during (which I'd rehearsed for hours beforehand), so that was all around a great experience.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, that's what I loved about the Christopher Paolini book signing was that he wanted to talk to people, and he gave the people in front of us writing wisdom and such.

      That sounds pretty cool! And haha, I get the "rehearsing hours beforehand" part. I rehearse just to buy something at the grocery store. :D

      Delete
    4. Wow! Sounds like such fun. I love it when famous people are still nice.

      And you're cracking me up. Because I have totally rehearsed things to say in "everyday life" too. Like when I have to call and make a dentist appointment or whatever.

      Delete
    5. Exactly! My dad and I were pleasantly surprised because so much of his life has been suuuper successful, but he's still down-to-earth and, really, just like any other friendly person.

      Right!! :D

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.