Friday, June 17, 2016

Anne of Avonlea Book Review

From my perspective, Anne of Avonlea is a little trampled down by the more popular Anne of Green Gables or Rilla of Ingleside. It's not the same, and I can understand how it might be a let-down after the nearly impeccable Anne of Green Gables, but this book... I love it.



Goodreads Synopsis: At sixteen, Anne is grown up...almost. Her gray eyes shine like evening stars, but her red hair is still as peppery as her temper. In the years since she arrived at Green Gables as a freckle-faced orphan, she has earned the love of the people of Avonlea and a reputation for getting into scrapes. But when Anne begins her job as the new schoolteacher, the real test of her character begins. Along with teaching the three Rs, she is learning how complicated life can be when she meddles in someone else's romance, finds two new orphans at Green Gables, and wonders about the strange behaviour of the very handsome Gilbert Blythe. As Anne enters womanhood, her adventures touch the heart and the funny bone.

Characterization

Clearly, Anne has changed. By this point in her life, she doesn't fling out five-syllable words in every sentence or break slates over peoples' heads. The change hurts, but we shouldn't expect Anne to act like a twelve-year old her whole life. Personally, I really enjoyed watching her mature and act "grown up" while retaining her classic Anne-charm. :)

And, I loved the other characters: Davey, Marilla, Anthony Pye, Gilbert, Ms. Lavender, Charlotta the 4th, etc.

Plot

LMM's books often lack a plot that drives throughout the whole story. I don't mind this style, because each chapter's incident keeps me interested to finish it, but I know some people struggle to stay engaged.

Writing 

Well-crafted, but easy to read.

Entertainment-Value

This is a new category! I added it because a book can have good characterization, a tight plot, and beautiful writing, and I can still dislike it.

Anyways, Anne of Avonlea nearly lives up to the achievement of AoGG in entertainment. Very sweet and funny.


So yes: I love this book muchly.

Rating: 5 stars


Have you read Anne of Avonlea and what did you think? 

(I read this for Lois's Re-Reading Challenge)

8 comments:

  1. L.M Montgomery is one of my favorite authors, but Anne of Avonlea isn't my favorite of her books (although I enjoyed it muchly also).
    I love Anne and Gilbert's relationship, too. It's so sweet and so – if I may be permitted to use the word – wholesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L. M. Montgomery for the win! :D

      Wholesome is a good word. They're one of my top favorite fictional characters. :)

      Delete
  2. I loved Anne Of Green Gables, and I might need to give this one a try! It sounds pretty good :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Definitely a kindred spirit! It's rather underrated, no? :D

      Delete
  4. I love all the Anne books, but the one that stands out to me to the most (aside from Anne of Green Gables) would be Anne's House of Dreams... I felt it was so heart-wrenching!

    Now, I like this idea you have of re-reading some quality books. I should definitely re-read the whole Anne series one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I haven't read that one yet! It's next!

      Thanks! Yes, you should! :D I expect it'll become a very well-read series for me.

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.