Friday, June 3, 2016

Freckles by Gene Stratton-Porter

So, for May's theme(an American classic) in the monthly Classics Challenge, I picked Freckles. This is one of those books I've been meaning to read for awhile, so the challenge just gave me an excuse to finally check it out from the library and read it.

Goodreads Synopsis: This tender love story is set in the wild swampland of Limberlost, the most frightening place in America, and most beautiful. There, you will meet Freckles, the dashing, red-haired hero who battles cruel and ruthless villains to win the angel of his dreams. Read about Freckles and love him. It’s impossible not to!

Like the my last book review, this post will analyze three of Freckles's elements: characterization, plot, and writing. 


Characterization: 


Very good! The protagonist, Freckles, is... He's just really well done. Imagine a slightly younger version of Enjolras and Marius combined into one person. He knows what he wants and what he's willing to do to get it. :) 


The heroine, who was called Angel(what IS her real name, anyways?), was, to continue the Les Mis analogy, both Cosette and Eponine at once. She and the other minor characters could have been a bit more fleshed out, but I think the characterization of Freckles makes up for it. 


Plot: 


Because Freckles was so determined, most of the story was pretty plot-driven. There were some slow pieces here and there, but they tapered off towards the end. 

My one complaint concerning the plot was that the conclusion seemed to rush up out of nowhere and resolved itself too conveniently. (Did anyone else feel this way?) 

Writing: 

As with The Mysterious Benedict Society, the writing flowed easily enough that I never stopped to notice it, but it also wasn't flashy or interrupted by show-y words. Looking back on it to write this review, I noted how lovely it actually is. :) 

There's also something to be said for the descriptions of nature, in a rather long-winded style like L. M. Montgomery's. 

~~~

So that's what I thought of it! There's something nostalgic to me about early 20th century romance and fiction. 

Freckles is an honorable character, and the story can appeal to a broad audience. 

Favorite Character: Freckles
Recommended for fans of: Anne of Green Gables(though it's different in many ways) or Heidi
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars 


(Excuse the varying fonts; Blogger is giving me trouble) :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got around to reading Freckles! Gene Stratton Porter is a wonderful writer. But I feel the same way about the ending; I wasn't completely satisfied with it when I read it. However, the book is great! (Oh, and you should definitely read The Keeper of the Bees. It's my favorite of her books so far.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I wrote the review. :)

      Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that!

      I will add it to my TBR list. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Herm...perhaps I should try this book. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

      Delete
    3. Well, tell me what you think if you do!

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.