Thursday, June 30, 2016

Little Women Next Door Book Review

Today is the last day of the Louisa May Alcott reading challenge! Unfortunately, due to procrastinating and busyness, I am only just now getting around to posting my book reviews. 


Louisa May Alcott Reading Challenge ... JUNE 2016


The first book I finished was Little Women Next Door




Back-Cover Synopsis: Susan does not like to talk because she stammers. And she's scared of a lot of things, such as climbing trees and jumping fences and, especially, meeting new people. Now she has new neighbors unlike any she's ever seen. They live on a farm they call Fruitlands, where they wear strange clothes and use words Susan has never heard before. Susan quickly discovers she likes these new neighbors, especially one lively girl who loves to swing on tree branches, act in plays, and write stories of magic and mystery. Her name is Louisa May Alcott. Little Women Next Door


I enjoyed learning a little more about the unique and unorthodox lifestyle of the Alcott family. 

Originally, I was a little wary of the author's worldview, especially since I strongly disagree with many of the Alcotts' beliefs. Despite my concerns, she gently demonstrated the flaws in their way of thinking, while praising the admirable aspects of their lives. 

The target audience was probably middle grade reading level, as the writing was concise, and the story short. I'd recommended it to the MG and older audience, and anyone who'd like to spend a few hours contemplating the Alcotts' unique way of life.



4 comments:

  1. Interesting. Sounds a teeny bit like The Fruitlands by...somebody. (I should check, but...nah.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By Gloria Whelan?

      Is it good? Maybe I'll pick it next year...

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you liked this one okay. I did too, and it helped me to better understand the Alcott's day-to-day lifestyle.

    Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was interesting to read right before Jo's Boys.

      Of course! :D

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.