Sunday, July 31, 2016

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Book Review

Note: To those of my awesome readers who are morally adverse to reading the Harry Potter books, please understand that I absolutely respect your decision and your caution in reading choices. I adore the world of Harry Potter, but more than that I admire a reader's commitment to God-honoring reading material. :)  

3I can't really comprehend our young adult culture before Harry Potter became a thing. For almost as long as I can remember, Walmart's scanning gates have advertised late Harry Potter installments, Jim Dale has droned on my CD player, and J. K. Rowling has been unofficially dubbed as the ultimate successful modern author. The complex world building of the movies and last few books or iconic images like the scar and Emma Watson have become Harry Potter.

But I enjoyed going back to the very beginning and re-discovering Harry Potter's story before he became a household name.

awww, they were so little x) 


There's a lot of worth here. Rowling rocks the art of keeping a reader interested. Her vocabulary doesn't exactly shine, nor are her plot twists always shockers(excluding that last one, which genuinely impressed me), but she keeps the pages turning until far past my bedtime. :)

With all the importance placed on 3D characters, unpredictable turns, and smooth writing, sometimes a good, entertaining story can be under-appreciated. And that's what I like so much about Harry Potter. It's just a really, really entertaining, fun, clever, and sometimes heart-wrenching story that will never grow old.

~~~

Have you read Harry Potter? What do you think? Who's your favorite Harry Potter character? 

"When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter. And my family will say to me, 'After all this time?' And I will say, 'Always'" ~Alan Rickman 


10 comments:

  1. Huh, my mom originally didn't allow me to read/watch Harry Potter because she didn't like the magic/witches thing, but I didn't realize that was a wide-spread sentiment until I read your disclaimer at the beginning.

    Since then my sister has forced me to watch the movies (my mom understands that I'm not really into them so she's fine with it).

    Aw, that Alan Rickman quote is heartbreaking because he recently passed away at 69...he won't get his 80-year-old-rocking-chair-moment :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a thing! :) A lot of my friends aren't allowed to read it, or only read it with their parents, or in some form exercised a lot of caution with it. My dad watched the movies with me, and my mom read the first book(or some of it anyways), so I can understand.

      The movies are fun. Have you seen all of them?

      I know... It's so sad. It's also a reference to something Snape said in the book/movie. I love it greatly. :)

      Delete
    2. Huh, interesting.

      I have seen all of them except the last two, but I've gotten spoiled about pretty much everything already XD

      Delete
    3. I know what you mean. Well, if you ever run out of things to read(not that I see that as very likely), you should consider reading the books!

      Delete
    4. Definitely! My school-friends really want me to read them as well, so I think eventually I will.

      Delete
    5. Don't forget to review them when you do! ;)

      Delete
  2. I really love the Harry Potter books, but the first one is my least-favorite of the series. The second was better, and the third was awesome. Four, five, and six were superb too, and seven took a while to get going, but ended well.

    I first read #1 when I was helping co-teach a college course on creative writing, and didn't like it enough to want to read more. But when the trailers for the third movie came out, I started getting very interested, so I read the first three books quick before the movie came out so I could go see it in clear conscience, and by the last few chapters in book 3, I was madly in love with Sirius Black and a definite fan of the series. And I haven't looked back.

    I know a lot of people who are concerned about the magic, and justly so, as it's a complicated and dangerous subject. I think the way Rowling presents it is very good, using it as a metaphor for power, and always sticking to made-up magic, not any kind of real spells. Still, it can make people think that magic is "safe," and I won't let my children read the books until they're old enough to understand the danger of real magic and how it differs from what is presented in the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I look forward to re-reading the remainder of the series then!

      I'm glad you did end up finishing the series. It's such fun!

      Yeah, I think another thing is that in the end, the biggest problems of the series are solved by the characters being sacrificial, brave, etc. rather than chanting spells. But I totally "get" parents censoring their children from it for awhile! My dad watched the movies with me so we could talk about the magic and such.

      Delete
    2. Meredith, that's such a good point. Magic is as much a metaphor in these books as space gadgetry is in Star Trek, monsters are on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and so on. In the end, it is the characters growing and maturing that keeps me reading.

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.