Monday, July 18, 2016

War and Peace Book Review and Life Update

The Book Review(spoiler-free):


War and Peace

Does anyone else agree that this cover would better befit The Phantom of the Opera? :D 


The Story: War and Peace is the ridiculously long tale of  people living during the Russian-Napoleonic wars and their social interactions. It's chock full of romances, dancing, and "The Red Badge of Courage"-esque war scenes. 

My Opinion: This novel is so thick and complex it's difficult to gather all my thoughts into a readable review. 

Basically, I was impressed by the layered exploration of human interactions Tolstoy accomplished here. The cast of characters was also fresh and well-developed. 

What didn't impress me was...well, a few things: 

1). The lack of drive. 

For the first few hundreds of pages, the plot slouched, skipping from one conversation at such-and-such a social gathering to another. It tightened near the end, except the--

2). epilogue 

The epilogue was nearly entirely superfluous. I liked one Goodreads reviewer's idea of slicing it out with an Exacto knife and saving yourself the pain of carrying around that bulk of paper and ink. Up until then, Tolstoy had stayed away from any really ridiculous tangents (like Hugo's), but the last 40 pages of the epilogue could've practically been condensed into a single paragraph. 

The Content Warning: 

Some Marvel-level language. It was pretty mild, if frequent, except a half dozen uses of some nastier words. When you divide how many pages there were by the instances of serious language, it isn't that bad. But if I ever obtain a copy of this, I might take a Sharpie to a couple words. :) 

Many of the conflicts hinged on mature content and there were some suggestive comments, especially among the soldiers. 

Lastly, this is WAR and Peace, so you can expect some violence. 


The Conclusion:

Apparently the Russian writer Mikhail Prishvin, upon finishing his twelfth War and Peace read, wrote in his diary that he finally understood his life. 

I may not read it twelve times, but I can agree with Mr. Prishvin that this gargantuan mass called a book offers a powerful study of life, frivolity, love, death, war, and peace. 

And who knows, maybe I will read it again someday. Until then I just look forward to returning to normal life and a healthy sleep schedule. :D 


The Life Update 

Now that I have finished War and Peace, I'm ending the hiatus I announced in this post, which means that you should start getting my comments back in your comment boxes. :) 

While I was "gone", I added a poll on the sidebar that you may answer if you are so inclined. 

And thank you all again for your comments on my Blogoversary post. It is now my most commented-on post:) 

Well, that's all I have for now. Until next time! :D                                           

2 comments:

  1. "For the first few hundreds of pages..." Haha! Those massive 19th century tomes...

    Excellent review! This is on my probably-TBR list, for the far future ;) I most likely like it fairly well. I did enjoy his Anna Karenina much more than I expected to, so here's hoping.

    Huzzah for your return!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! You've read Les Mis. You should know;)

      Ahh, I have a list like that. Those challenging books that I shooouuuld read, but for now I'd rather not exhaust my mind thinking on those monsters. xD Hmmm, I rather think I'd enjoy Anna Karenina. Someday:)

      Thank you for the huzzah and comment, Olivia! :D

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.