Saturday, September 3, 2016

Anne of Ingleside Book Review

I spaced out in August on the Classics Challenge and forgot to read a modern classic... 

Just in case, I skimmed through the list of titles I'd read in August and found one could make the case for Anne of Ingleside being a modern classic. It was published after WWI and still read by thousands today. So I think it counts? 

Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6)

Maybe not, but in the hopes that it does, here's my(slightly edited and lengthened) review from Goodreads: 

It's hard to believe this came from the same author who created Anne. Where the first four Anne books were genuine and original, this almost read like boring fanfiction. 

Anne's children, though rather cute, were extremely one-dimensional. We have a promising throwback-to-Avonlea chapter at the beginning, but it turned out to be nothing more than a moaning session between Anne and Diana. Nooo. 

A few funny parts, an occasional sweet nostalgic reference, and the last chapter kept this from being a complete flop. 

I won't get into how Anne isn't really Anne anymore, the stories are significantly less interesting, Gilbert is dull, and or how boring the whole volume is. To sum it up, I was not impressed. 

My expectations for the next Anne installment are significantly diminished. 


And speaking of Goodreads, how did it get 4.04 average star rating?? This does not add up. 

Anyways, thanks for reading my rant and have a nice Saturday! :D 




(P.S. Don't worry, the next Anne book is better.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.