I love reading the first sentence of a book and that lovely sense of expectancy(or nostalgia for a re-read). Closing sentences can be just as lovely: by that point the author has kept your attention to the last page and you've experienced the complete package between.
To celebrate these lovely closing words and because it was time for another game, I've put together some of my favorites for you to guess.
Just guess in the comments which book you think each quote came from(of course you may skip guessing on some quotes if you have no idea) and I will post the answers and scores in about a week. Unless you're pretty sensitive to spoilers, I think this should be fine.
If you choose a book in the same series as the correct answer, I'll give you a half point, since really that deserves some credit. Oh, and I've enabled comment moderation so you don't accidentally see something and please don't be silly and look the answers up on the internet-- that would be cheating. xD
1. Before her, on the dark hill, against the sunset, was the little beloved grey house that was to be disappointed no longer.
2. So I awoke, and behold it was a dream.
3. He would be there all night and he would be there when Jem waked up in the morning.
4. And finally I began like this: When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.
5. Then they walked home together in the dusk, crowned king and queen in the bridal realm of love, along winding paths fringed with the sweetest flowers that ever bloomed, and over haunted meadows where winds of hope and memory blew.
6. "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I ever have done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."
7. When Margaret grows up she will have a daughter, who is to be Peter's mother in turn; and thus it will go on, so long as children are gay and innocent and heartless.
8. "Well, I'm back," he said.
9. "When I take you on board the Witch, it's going to be for keeps."
10. All their life in this world and all their adventures in ____ had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.
Oops. That was a bit harder than I meant for it to be. Hmm, let me give you a hint: two of these are from the same author and she is one of the most wonderful writers that ever was. :)
Don't be afraid to participate even if you only know a few! Have fun and thanks ever so much for reading/commenting!