Sunday, September 18, 2016

The Tolkien Tag~2016

Whoop, whoop! It's that time of year! :) 

Hamlette is hosting another Tolkien party this week and all my followers who like Tolkien ought to join in right now. :D 


Click the button for details: 





To begin the Tolkien-y festivities, she has put together the following tag. Here are my answers: 



1.  How many books by J.R.R. Tolkien have you read?

Counting each LotR installment, six: The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, Farmer Giles of Ham, and Smith of Wootton Major





To be perfectly honest, the last two didn't do much for me especially Smith of Wootton Major, but I love Lord of the Rings


Oh, I also started and I *think* finished a picture book he wrote called Mr. Bliss. So seven, then. 



2.  Have you seen any movies based on them?


*nods* I've seen all of the LotR and Hobbit movies multiple times and the cartoon Hobbit, which was...interesting, but not all that bad. 



3.  Are there any scenes/moments that make you cry?


The Battle of Five Armies-- when Bilbo says goodbye to Gandalf and the end credits(no thanks to you, Billie Boyd) 


Return of the King- The Grey Havens thereon out till the end 


4.  Are there any scenes/moments that make you laugh?


More than make me cry, ironically. 


~the end of the Council of Elrond "Right, so where are we going?" 


~"They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!" (I don't even know why) 


~the unexpected party scenes in An Unexpected Journey 


~so many other scenes in An Unexpected Journey 



5.  Have you ever chosen a Middle Earth name for yourself?  If so, what is it?


I wouldn't be opposed to going by Eowyn. 

6.  Who would you want to party with/marry/fight to the death? (pick three characters)


I think I'd like to "party" with Eowyn sometime after the Ring is destroyed, as she's so grim before. 


The others would be Sam and Sauruman respectively. 

7.  When was the last time you visited Middle Earth, via books or movies?


Yesterday! I'm currently reading The Two Towers


8.  Do you consider Gollum to be a villain?  Why or why not?


Not quite. I see him more as an anti-hero. Rather like Boromir. 

9.  How would you sum up what Tolkien's stories mean to you in one word?


Nostalgic, perhaps? 

10. List up to ten of your favorite lines/quotes from the books or movies.


It would be too difficult to decide on quotes from both books and movies, so I'm doing the Lord of the Rings movies exclusively:







10. "They're taking the hobbits to Isengard!" (Don't you dare judge me, Lizzy. ;) ) 

9. "Right! So where are we going?" 


8. "That still only counts as one!" 


7. Gimli: "Never thought I'd die fighting side by side with an elf." 


Legolas: "What about side by side with a friend?" 


Gimli: "Aye, I could do that."


6. "You draw too much attention to yourself, Mr. Underhill." I frequently quote this one to my siblings for some reason. 


5. I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.


4. "I made a promise, Mr. Frodo, a promise. 'Don't you leave him, Samwise Gamgee.' And I don't mean to. I don't mean to."


3“I’m glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee, here at the end of all things.”


2. "All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given us."


1“It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered, full of darkness and danger they were and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why, but I think I do understand; I know now folk in those stories had lots of chances to turn back, only they didn't; they kept going because they were holding onto something. What are we holding onto, Frodo? There's some good in this world and it's worth fighting for."



There you go! Agree/disagree?? 

14 comments:

  1. Loved your answers! So happy you could join the party :-)

    I cry more in TBOTFA when Bilbo says goodbye to the dwarves than to Gandalf -- maybe because I know he'll be seeing Gandalf again, or something? I don't know, but that goodbye to the dwarves slays me.

    You know, I bet Eowyn does know how to party really well. Like, fierce-yet-elegant partying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you!

      Oh yeah! I think that's where I start crying, too. I actually haven't seen it for over a year since it's somewhat long and so emotionally draining. ;) I really like it, but the others are my go-to Hobbit movies since they're much less tearful!

      I bet she does. xD

      Delete
  2. The first to want to marry a Hobbit. Everybody picked a Man (usually Aragorn), but no Elves yet (what, no Legolas?!) . . . who would of though this before the Hobbit movies . . . a Dwarf (Kili is on my list, but Eomer was my first love).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? All those other characters are great too, but Sam I think is my favorite. :)

      Delete
  3. Wait, you didn't like Billy Boyd's singing? Or are you just being ironic...??
    Yay, you made it to The Two Towers! Cool :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! xD I love his singing and acting, but I was saying no thanks because his song is what makes me cry. : ,(

      I did! I was actually about to comment on your update post. Here, let me go do that... :)

      Delete
  4. A TOLKIEN TAG! *devours*

    LOVE this, Meredith! I'm totally going to be joining the Tolkien party - it looks like far too much fun to miss!

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?!

      Yay! I'll be keeping my eyes out for your post. :)

      Delete
  5. AHHH I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT TOLKIEN WEEK!!!! I haven't done anything yet, but I REALLY hope to get a post out tomorrow if at all possible. I can't miss Bilbo and Frodo's birthday, now can I? ;)

    I'm also going to be picking up The Fellowship of the Ring again. It's been waaaaay too long since I started that. *cough*

    Great post, Meredith! I loved all your answers. :D (And I would agree with most of your answers...especially the quotes. Those quotes are awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw your post on my Blogger dashboard, so I'll be off to read it ASAP. :)

      No, no of course not. That would be shameful indeed!

      Yes, yes, you must. :) It took me three tries to finally get through that whole series, but I loved it soooo much when I did. FotR is goals but Return of the King is the bestest. :D

      Thank you! Aren't they? :)

      Delete
  6. It's been ages since I've watched the movies, but your quotes take me back. So many hilarious and great moments! And Billy Boyd's singing...? Ah my heart! Great answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't there?

      Billy Boyd's singing is absolutely wonderful. :D

      Thank you!!

      Delete
  7. "That still only counts as one!" My nephew loves to say this in Gimli's voice. Great set of quotes. It was fun reading your answers to Hamlette's questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! I really should quote that more often. :)

      Thanks :)

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.