Sunday, October 23, 2016

G. K. Chesterton 101- A Guest Post by Art3mis Took

Hullo, readers! 

My awesome friend, Art3mis Took, kindly agreed to grace my blog with her writings! Go check out her blog, because obvious reasons. :D Well, without further ado...

~~~

One typical day in 20th century England, an impressively portly gentleman wearing a cape and swinging a sword cane went on a trip and ended up sending a telegram home to his wife, "Am at Market Harborough. Where ought I to be?" 

This same absentminded man wrote The Everlasting Man, one of the reasons that the atheistic C.S. Lewis converted to Christianity; Lewis later wrote that at the time he thought G.K. Chesterton "had more sense than all the other moderns put together; bating, of course his Christianity." 


Chesterton also inspired the Irish Independence movement with his novel The Napoleon of Notting Hill, and encouraged Ghandi's work in India with one of his essays.

He also happens to be my favorite author of all time.

And since I can't think of a transition after that...hi, everybody! Thanks, Meredith, for graciously inviting me for a guest post! Let's hope I don't scare away your audience. xD  

My name is Art3mis Took (because my family is paranoid when it comes to the internet), and I am here to rave about one of my favorite topics. Man, I love blogging.

A brief bio: G.K. Chesterton was an intellectually brilliant Englishman who went through a long, difficult journey from agnosticism to Catholic Christianity. Basically he decided to make up his own philosophy of life, but then realized that this philosophy already existed--it was Christianity. Today he's known for his books of apologetics (such as The Everlasting Man and Orthodoxy), as well as his rebuttals of famous modern thinkers such as Bernard Shaw and H.G. Wells. 


He definitely had a gift for words, but his writing takes a while to get used to, since he enjoyed making somewhat confusing paradoxical statements and referencing other 20th century British authors that nobody knows about. He's also infamous for his tangents, which are still not as bad as Victor Hugo's--Meredith can vouch for that.  ;D

You may have run into some quotes from the man himself:
 "The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult; and left untried.
"An adventure is only an inconvenience wrongly considered."
"When we step into the family, by the act of being born, we do step into a world which is incalculable, into a world which has its own strange laws, into a world which could do without us, into a world we have not made. In other words, when we step into the family we step into a fairy-tale."
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
“I have little doubt that when St. George had killed the dragon he was heartily afraid of the princess.”
The thing I like the best about GKC is that he makes me look at life in a different way. He takes a familiar concept--families, for example--and makes a point about it that makes me think about it like I'm discovering it for the first time. He's brought me through a lot of tough times with his optimism and joviality.

17 year old GKC :) 


If you haven't read any of Chesterton's stuff yet and this has intrigued you, a good place to start is with his Fr. Brown mysteries. They center around a small, quiet crime solving priest and his arch nemesis, the master thief Flambeau. Some of them get pretty strange, so a good normal-ish one to start with is "The Blue Cross." It's about the length of a Sherlock Holmes mystery, and it's a good sample of Chesterton's writing style. 

And if you're interested in Christian apologetics, or just a sample of Chesterton's more philosophical writing, Orthodoxy is mind-blowing. 

Lastly, GK's works are now public domain so they're easy to find by typing in "Chesterton" on gutenberg.org. Now you have no excuse! Muahahaha!

Happy reading, and thanks for listening.  :)

~~~

Thank you, Art3mis for appearing here! I'm still only a beginner when it comes to Chesterton works, but I'd really like to get into more of his stuff. Like she said, I guess I have no excuse.

Plus, he shares a name with one of my favorite L. M. Montgomery characters(Gilbert), so that must mean something. :) 


What about y'all? Have you read anything by G. K. Chesterton? 

7 comments:

  1. That's so interesting! Now I want to give GKC a try. :) I love your/Art3mis Took's writing style! This was definitely a fascinating post. I could absolutely envision GKC walking along London streets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful--I've read somethings from G.K. Chesterton, but never a full book. I was looking into ways to start reading his works and this is really helpful. Plus I'm glad you mentioned the tangents are not as bad as Victor Hugo's--his are really awful ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Have fun getting into GKC; he's an interesting guy to get to know!
      Haha yes, I could never finish Les Mis because of the tangents. xP

      P.S. *Catholic high five* :D

      Delete
  3. Thank you once again for writing this, Art3mis! I hope you don't mind that I added a few pictures.

    Huh, I had no idea that The Napoleon of Notting Hill had such influence on Irish history! Although I guess it makes sense with what you've told me about the book.

    Hugo's tangents-- YUSS. terrible, nasty things ;)

    I like those quotes and others of his that I've read. He ranks with Tolkien and Lewis on "quote-ability".

    Hehe, yeah, the Father Brown mysterious can be a bit strange, especially his earlier ones, but some of them are really good. I'll read "The Blue Cross" for school this year. The Hammer of God" is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are totally welcome; I'm always glad to rant about something that I find to be utterly amazing. :D And the pictures were perfect; I was internally squealing when I scrolled through the post.

      Huh, I'll have to check out "The Hammer of God;" I don't think I've read that one.

      Thanks again for the posting opportunity. It was fantabulous. :)

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.