Thursday, October 6, 2016

The Railway Children Book Review

Oh dear! I am late this month.

My choice of September for the 12 Month Classics Challenge was The Railway Children. Unfortunately I didn't get around to it till now, but if I can finish the book for October, I should be back on track.

Back-Cover Synopsis: Father is suddenly called away and Roberta, Peter, Phyllis and their mother have to leave their happy life in London to live in a small house in the country. But the quiet countryside isn't nearly as dull as they'd thought it would be when they discover a railway line nearby, and make friends with Perks the porter and the Station Master. Only the mystery remains: where is Father and is he ever coming back? 


















There's nothing particularly ingenious about this book. No mind-bending plot twists or complex plot. Just a colorful cast of characters, sweet dialogue and many pages of nostalgic, endearing railway scenes. There's something quaint about railways(especially those of the early 20th century) and E. Nesbit captures it well in these pages.

The children's angelic behavior bothered me a bit, since I've never met any children so virtuous, but they had enough faults to keep it realistic. I wouldn't want to read about terribly naughty children.

You may find it a yawner, or you may find it darling like I did. :)

Have you already read it? What did you think? 

4 comments:

  1. I've read this quite a few times, and I reeeeeally like it. I want to read it aloud to my kids one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would probably be a great read-aloud; my mom read it a loud to me about ten years ago. I don't remember it very well, but I'm sure your kids will enjoy it like I did!

      Delete
  2. I almost feel like I've watched a movie based off that book ... huh. I could be wrong :D. Anyways, loved this, and I think I might check The Railway Children out!

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked it up and apparently there's a 1970 movie: is that the one, perhaps? I'm not sure I'd like it as much in movie form. Hmmm...

      You should! If you like it, be sure to tell me. :)

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.