Sunday, November 6, 2016

3 Reasons To Watch The Wizard of Oz(1939)

Well, it's the last day of Rose's Classic Hollywood party and I am finally getting around to those reviews! Whew, and I thought I wasn't a procrastinator. I'll be posting a review of It's A Wonderful Life later today, so keep your eyes peeled for that.

Image result for the wizard of oz
Before I begin, a small disclaimer: this was my favorite movie as a four or five year-old, so I'm rather biased towards it. You very well may not enjoy it half as much as I did. :D



Or perhaps you will! In fact, I am here to convince you that you will or that at least you should give this movie a try.

And, as a writer unskilled at nice paragraphed reviews, we're using a list format today. :) Without further ado, three reasons to watch The Wizard of Oz:


1). Its Vintage Feel

The Wizard of Oz was based off L. Frank Baum's book of the same name. (I was also a big fan of the book) In 1939 when it was released, the movie met popularity and has been a favorite since. Yada yada.

What I love is it's old, vintage-y feel. You get to see young Judy Garland and maybe pick up on a few references which had previously gone over your head. Although to some the story or acting are boring, watch it for the vinatge-y stuff. :)

 Image result for the wizard of oz


2). The Music

Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue...

There was a point in my childhood when not only did I have most of the book memorized, but most of the musical numbers. They're rather catchy and will likely stick in your head. Apologies from me in advance. ;)
Image result for the wizard of oz

3). The Story

There's something magical about the story. Maybe I just say that because of its nostalgic associations for me, but I think even first-time viewers could agree.
~~~

Well, that was my sort-of review. I'm sorry it was so jumbled together. XD

Have you seen The Wizard of Oz? What are your thoughts? Do tell! 
Image result for the wizard of oz

6 comments:

  1. I'm planning on reviewing this one in January. (I bought a calendar that has vintage movie posters every month and I'm going to review the movie that each month features during that month.) I've seen this so many times I can't count. I'll save any other comments for my review, but nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this two or three times, and don't love it much, I'm afraid. My kids love Judy Garland in Meet Me in St. Louis, though, so one of these days I'll show them this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably wouldn't like it much either unless I'd seen it the first few times as a less critical five-year old. :)

      Oh, I haven't seen Meet Me in St. Louis yet, though I'd like to, but if your kids like Judy Garland they might enjoy this. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Oh goodness, I LOVE The Wizard of Oz. Probably for the same reasons you do... It's magical. It's vintage-y. :) It's charming. I've watched it a few times at least.

    In 2017, I plan to start reading the books (nope, I've never even read the original yet!). But I hear there are about 14 books in all, so I'm excited to get to read them all (at some point!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another fan! :)

      Oh, fun! You could probably tell I like the original book(I'm actually re-reading it on audio right now), but I could never get into the others. They were just too weird! But maybe you'll like them better than I did.

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.