Tuesday, November 8, 2016

It's A Wonderful Life Movie Review

Warning: Includes Mild Spoilers

Ahhhh, I love this movie so much. I've seen it 9 or 10 times and likely will sit through a few dozen more watches before I die. So again, this will be a very biased review. But I also mean to persuade you in its favor in case you haven't yet had the good fortune to watch this movie.

George Bailey is your typical, big idea-driven character who's stuck in a small, traditional community. He's also an all-around lovable guy and played by Jimmy Stewart who is perfect. We even named our dog "Bailey" after him. But I digress.


He has big ideas, and he has big plans, but circumstances and a woman named Mary keep him from ever launching into his dream big world.

He eventually marries, settles down, and has four children. One beautiful aspect of the story is his positive influence on everyone he meets. He may be one of the most important people in the town, but he's too humble to realize it.

The plot comes to its crux when, due to a banking accident, George considers taking his own life. This triggers an emotionally powerful but subtly humorous sequence in which an unconventional angel descends from Heaven to help him.

The WWII historical references and the funny situational side comedies add an old fashioned feel which complements the music and B&W so nicely.

 Another virtue of this movie is its hilarious characters. They're just so funny. And quirky, and real, and this movie is just the best, okay?


Moral of this Review: Watch It's A Wonderful Life this Christmas. You may not love it as much as I do, but give it a try; there's a very good chance it could become your new favorite Christmas movie. :D

Have you seen It's A Wonderful Life? Isn't it the best? Don't be afraid to answer if you didn't like it-- I won't bite. :) 

8 comments:

  1. Oh I remember watching this movie with my whole family once...it was awesome <3
    Normally it is hard to find a movie for everyone to sit down, watch, and actually enjoy, but this one definitely accomplished that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? :D It's a yearly tradition for us, which I why I've seen it so many times.

      Oh, I know what you mean! It's a challenge in our family too, but this is one movie everyone enjoys.

      Delete
  2. I watch this one every Christmas eve when it comes on TV. Sometimes by myself on the small B&W TV in my room, or sometimes, if I can convince the whole family to agree, on the big TV. Like A Christmas Carol, its a necessary tradition to prepare for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Christmas wouldn't be the same without it.

      Delete
  3. This is my favorite movie!!! My family watches it together every year around Christmastime, and I completely agree; Christmas would not be the same without the annual watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, your family celebrates Christmas the right way!

      Delete
  4. Totally love this movie :-) I didn't see it until I was probably 11 or 12, when an aunt insisted we borrow it one summer. I try to let a year or two go by between viewings so it stays fresh and poignant for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. It's an annual tradition at our house and so far(for me at least) it's always fresh and poignant, but I can imagine that if we watched it more often it would lose its touch and that would be really sad.

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.