Monday, November 21, 2016

The Scarlet Pimpernel Book Review(Short)

I read this book for The Monthly Classics Challenge because so many people I know/follow-on-the-internet had read and loved it.
25371686


It was a good book. Sir Percy was brilliant, and the ending blew my mind.

Sadly, I'd expected a different layout than what I found. For whatever reason, I'd envisioned little episode-styled plots and then one big culminating "bang" at the end. In reality, it was one long thread of narrative that pretty much started on page 30-something and didn't stop till page-the-last. The story lagged, started, and then rushed with no time to breathe and no mini-resolutions into a startling halt.

Once again my strange expectations get in the way of enjoying a good book.

The book was inventive and light and I really like the twist on a classic romance format where a married, distant couple comes to love each other over the course of the book.

I think I'll enjoy it much better as a re-read.

Have you read The Scarlet Pimpernel? What did you think? 

9 comments:

  1. I love this book!! I was bored with it when I tried listening to it on a long car ride, but when I sat down with the paper-and-ink book, I devoured it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it would make a trick audio-book. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bored at first. :)

      Delete
  2. I actually started this earlier this year, but never got to page 30. I'll have to try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to hear your thoughts if you ever finished it! It wasn't one of those books that I finished at thought "Wow, that was really amazing," but it was entertaining and (according to the introduction) influential, so it was worth reading, I think.

      Delete
    2. At such time as I read it, I will likely blog about it. I know it inspired Johnston McCulley's creation of Zorro, so I want to read at least the first book. I did like the Anthony Andrews/Jane Seymour/Ian McKellen TV movie version.

      Delete
    3. Interesting. Yes, I've heard that one is really good! I'll have to track it down sometime.

      Delete
  3. The Scarlet Pimpernel would be a good one to read, I'm sure. It actually has been on my classics need-to-read list for (maybe) years... But I do looove a good book with a mind-blowing ending. So I probably need to read this!

    By the way, if you happen to be interested in a holiday reading challenge, please visit my blog for ‘A Literary Christmas’! There's a giveaway too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, plot twists really liven up a book. :) Okay, so I should clarify. "Mind blowing" might not be quite the right words, as I realized after publishing this, but the resolution still impressed me a good deal.

      Thank you for notifying me! I thiiiink I will participate. I'll probably just choose one or two books, but I will start working on it soon. :)

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.