Saturday, December 3, 2016

"The Gold-Bug & Other Tales" Book Review

A little late(though not unusually so) for my November Classic review. I read a few stories for school from a slim Edgar Allan Poe collection and it bothered me to have unread material just sitting on my shelves, so I chose it for the "classic by a male author" November cateogry.

But first, a happy, Christmas-y video to offset the dreary nature of this book:



Overall, I think I benefited from immersing in the grave style of Mr. Poe and stretching my horizons(you usually don't find me curled up with a work Gothic Horror literature).

Here are my analyses of each story:

Ligeia-- Not my favorite. Too fantastical and strange.

The Fall of the House of Usher-- Okaaaay, this one was creepy. Again, not my favorite but better than Ligeia.

The Murders in the Rue Morgue-- The beginning was unfocused, but the story was clever. Pretty gruesome, but this is Poe, so what did I expect?

The Masque of Red Death-- I didn't really "get it" at first until I read the Cliff's Notes analysis(shhh) and then the impressiveness of it struck me. Wow.

The Pit and the Pendulum(re-read)-- Fantastic. This may have moved me the most and just, wow. It is so good.

The Tell-Tale Heart(re-read)-- Interesting, insightful, depressing.

The Gold Bug--  Drawn out and honestly not that impressive. Rather overrated if you ask me(which of course you didn't). (Disclaimer: contains four or five instances of a nasty word)

The Black Cat-- Ugh, it was awful and depressing and skillful at once. Not something particularly enjoyable but not unedifying either.

The Cask of Amontillado-- Didn't follow this one; a re-read might help. I fell asleep.


Poe explores the effects of sin and fear fluently and terrifyingly. These insights coupled with his beautiful writing style make some of these stories gems.  My favorites are The Pit and the Pendulum, The Masque of Red Death, and The Murders in the Rue Morgue in that order.

What do you think of Edgar Allan Poe? 

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge Poe fan, but I really like a few of his stories. The Purloined Letter, The Masque of the Red Death, and The Cask of Amantillado are probably my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try The Purloined Letter next time I'm in a Poe mood. And I should definitely re-read The Cask of Amantillado since I was too tired to appreciate it the first time!

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.