Thursday, December 22, 2016

"The Man Who Invented Christmas" Book Review

I read and reviewed The Man Who Invented Christmas for The Literary Christmas Challenge.

A Literary Christmas: 2016 Reading Challenge // inthebookcase.blogspot.com

Considering the fact that I don't read non-fiction very often and the mediocre Goodreads ratings, it's surprising how well I enjoyed this one.  Les Standiford wrote about the life of Dickens(his financial troubles, his works, his loves), the history of Christmas, and the impact thereon by The Christmas Carol. He could have left out a lot of biographical information, as it distracted from what the subtitle claimed the book covers( "How Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol Rescued His Career and Revived Our Holiday Spirits"). However, the 280 fairly short pages of the book didn't accommodate for too much superfluous content.

3098796

Also, I was grateful he kept the book fairly clean and tastefully discussed any "mature" content, which was pretty minimal.

Overall, it was an educational book, oftentimes fascinating, and one I would recommend to any interested in The Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens, or Christmas in general.

P.S. And, to keep my streak alive, another Christmas song. Skip to 1:00 unless you want to hear a minute of tuning. :)


2 comments:

  1. Yep, this one definitely has to make in into my Christmas 2017 reading plans! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I look forward to hearing your opinion on it!

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.