Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Further Thoughts on Rogue One

The night after I watched Rogue One I stayed up rather late composing sentences out of my impressions and formatting them into an acceptable conglomeration for my readers. It got rather lengthy and my mind was tired. So I read through it and hit the satisfying "Publish" button.



But wait...there's more!

Yeah, there were some things that I resolved to write about in the theater and then completely forgot when I got home. Classic.

So, here they are. Two further thoughts on Rogue One:

1. The Divine Characteristic of the Force

From my experience with the previous Star Wars movies, the "Force" was basically an impersonal power which could be tapped for power and called upon to aid characters. "May the force be with you." (Correct me if I'm wrong here)

But now we have a new catch phrase, "I am one with the force and the force is with me." Chirrut said it the most and eventually spread the sentiment to many of the other characters. Now the force is more of a Divine Being characters can coax and pray to.

I'm not sure what this development of the force is supposed to do. It seems a little inconsistent with the intention of the original series, but I guess we'll take it?

Well, we don't have much of a choice, but it is interesting to think about. Is this the sort of liberty that people were afraid new Star Wars franchise would take?

2. The Poor Writing of Dialogue, Particularly Jyn's

This is just my opinion, of course. So let me explain.

The first half of the movie limited her dialogue to mainly trisyllabic replies. And every time she did open her mouth it was to spit out a very cliche line.

"Seriously?"

"The time to fight is now!" (Huh. Sounds rather like something a Ranger once said in a Tolkien fantasy film.)

"There isn't much time. Every day they grow stronger." 

She rarely smiled and all-around over-dramatized her character and lines. I understand she'd had a dark childhood and the situations she was up against were hardly laughing matters, but she still bordered cheesiness in a slew of melodrama.

Again, just me. :)

I still like the movie and I'm dying to go see it again with some more of my family members. Maybe Jyn will grow on me next time.

What do you think? Did you find the dialogue a little cheesy? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.