Monday, January 30, 2017

It's Okay To Be Unpopular

I'm an introvert. I read lots of books. I don't have a Snapchat.

While these facts don't have to--and shouldn't have to--be relevant to my sense of popularity, it often seems they are.

As an awkward, introverted nerd it's easy to feel unpopular or unnoticed in teen groups. I can get caught up in the fear that perhaps, (horror!), I'm not popular.

The truth is, I'm really not. Consult my number of Instagram followers. Check out my number of phone contacts. I'm not exactly a celebrity. xD

I'm very blessed with several awesome people whom I can call friends, but judging by sheer numbers, I'm not that "cool".

And, according to statistics, I'm not the only one. According to statistics, many high-schoolers feel unpopular.



So why the sweat?

It's hard to accept that I'm not the "life-of-the-party" and not friends with everyone I encounter. It's so easy to get swept up in a whirl of peer expectations. Expectations to dress like everyone else, talk like everyone else, be like everyone else.

When all I really want to do is read way-outdated classics and watch The Cosby Show, I find myself draining anxiety over not being up on fashion trends or never having seen a solitary episode of The Walking Dead or Once Upon A Time.

Photo credit: <a href="http://foter.com/">Foter.com</a> /
 <a href="http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/">CC0</a>























So. Are you in the same boat?

Maybe you are and you don't really care. If so, more power to you. :)

But maybe you're like me and you still waste frustration over it. Here's what I've been thinking about lately.

Christians Aren't Necessarily Called To Impress Peers

Our highest calling is to glorify God. Fitting in is secondary.




Perhaps My "Knack" for Unpopularity Is A Blessing 

Perhaps God doesn't want me to be popular. Which of my pursuits and activities would be impaired by time spent frivolously socializing? Not at all to downplay fellowship in Christ, but if I were a more popular, party person, I would probably not have time for everything important in my life. And that would be sad indeed. ^.^


Unpopularity Helps Me Focus On What's Important 

It's good to be far enough from sparkling popularity to breathe and look around. I'm not super up on popular stuff, so I don't need to worry about maintaining my good standing in the teen eye. xD

And how many roads to grave sins are paved by the pursuit of popularity? Not to say in any way that I'm exempt from sinful temptations, but learning to not constantly strive for popularity can eliminate at least that source of temptation.

~~~

In the end, does it matter whether I can count my good friends on more than two hands?

If the Creator of the Universe and Savior of my soul constantly watches over me, why must I yearn for admiration among people?

"Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” ~Deuteronomy 31:6


Can you relate? Are you tired of trying to fit in with normal people? ;) 

12 comments:

  1. Wow. I really needed to read this post right now. Amazing how God works. :)

    Anyway, yes, I completely relate. I don't have many friends, and at pretty much any social event I feel out of place because I end up watching people instead of talking. I AM tired of trying to fit in with normal people! It's refreshing to remember that God made us that way for a reason and He's not up there like "Muahahaha, you're so awkward!" xD

    Thanks for this post. It is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm so glad! Isn't it cool how God does that? :)

      Yeppp. Hehe, exactly.

      I'm so happy you could relate to this and that it was helpful. :D

      Delete
  2. That was an amazing post, Meredith :) I totally relate (other than being totally into OUaT), and it was just a very nice fun refreshing post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Haha, well, I'd probably be very into it as well if I watched it. xD

      I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, this post is really...I can't find the word for it right now.
    It's amazing Meredith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much, Rachel! That you think that is very encouraging to me. :D

      Delete
  4. Hey, just ran across this post, and I just had to comment. This is SO true. It's so easy to get caught up in the trap of worrying all the time about what other people think of you, and failing to appreciate the gifts that God gives us, and to realize that our own weirdness and isolation are all part of his unique plan for us. Really thoughtful and true post. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you commented:)

      Yep. Well put.

      Thank you so much for your feedback-- it means a lot. :D

      Delete
  5. Well said. I can totally relate. Not that I'm really into having all the newest fashionable things (in fact I'm rather proud of being out of the loop in some respects), but the friends thing is a big one for me. I have such a hard time making friends. I just don't feel like anyone really wants to get to know me, and it's really hard for me to take the first step myself because...ugh...starting random conversations is NOT my cup of tea. And besides, "why would that person want to talk to me anyway?" You know?

    Sorry, I feel like I just lost my train of thought. Anyhow, your points about the blessings of being unpopular are really good. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I understand. I'm fairly comfortable starting conversations and trying to get to know people, but yeah, it doesn't always stick. :/ There's just something about not having a plethora of friends that can be really discouraging! xD

      Of course! I hope it was encouraging. :)

      Delete
  6. I relate to this so much; it was really refreshing to read. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank *you*! I'm happy you found it refreshing. :D

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.