Well, something marvelous happened tonight. I saw Rogue One. Yuup.
Aaaand? It was pretty cool.
Let's take a minute first to talk about the trailers that showed before the movie. Because I have almost as much to say about those as the movie itself. :)
1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
I understand that the first movie(although I never saw it) likely had good acting, and funny moments, and cool effects, and all those other "good-movie" elements. It was a Marvel movie after all. This, on the other hand, just looks dumb. The poster in the theater did not impress me. The trailer did not impress me. (Okay, I guess young Groot was kind of cute, he was a baby tree), but everything else...*shakes head*
2. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Hmmm. First of all, isn't it interesting how Disney has digressed from family-oriented cartoons, to PG-13 pirate flicks?
Anyways, there's some interesting things in this trailer. First of all, it starts with a shot of lone ships; no people or talking. So right away all of the PotC fans start wriggling and thinking, It's the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie! and all the people who aren't so familiar with PotC(*raises hand*) are left to figure it out. It gets more and more obvious(and we see Brendon Thwaites), but nothing really refers to the original movie until Jack Sparrow is mentioned.
I'm not sure I'll ever watch this movie, especially as I haven't seen the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th movies, but I was impressed to see Brendon Thwaites, who was good in The Giver and briefly in Maleficient. So it was a good trailer I guess.
3. Carrs 3
Loved this trailer. It didn't even tell me the name of the movie, but I loved the trailer. End of story. :)
Also, I could probably talk for awhile about the Rogue One trailer, but thankfully for you, most of the things I would say are summed up nicely in this video by Josh Taylor from Blimey Cow, which I highly recommend you watch.
Now, to the movie:
(p.s. I can't promise this will all make sense to you if you haven't seen it yet, but hopefully some of it will ^.^)
What I Didn't Like(Or Couldn't Decide About):
1. Okay, I'm not sure how I feel about the digitalized resurrection of *Sort of Spoilers* Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher*End of Sort of Spoilers*
There was a somewhat...fake quality to it that I don't know what to think about. It's crazy amazing technology, though, so I'll say that.
2. The Unnecessary Intensity/Violence: One of my favorite things about the original Star Wars trilogy, and one of the reasons I was able to get in to it at all, is that it keeps the violence fairly kid-appropriate. I can watch 95% of the trilogy with my six year-old sister without much problem. (I realize that this isn't true for everyone, of course)
Comparatively, Rogue One is pretty intense. Much of the violence lands on the storm troopers, and although it's easy to forget they're people inside(storm troopers are people too, guys ;D), it's still a bit much. In my opinion.
It wasn't so violent that I found it inappropriate or "too scary" per se, I'm just questioning the necessity of all the storm trooper-flinging. But none of it was too graphic or disturbing, so all is good. :)
3. Jyn Erso: It's not that I disliked her development or background so much as I was disappointed with the makers for making her so...masculine. One of the great things about Princess Leia is that, while handling a gun, or rescuing Han Solo from Jabba the Hut, or all the other things she did, she acts femininely. Jyn wore leather and her hair in a *ahem* sad little knot, which was all well and good, but I felt like the makers were trying to make her "cool" through masculinity. Girls can be cool and feminine, you know. :) *rant over*
What I Did Like:
1. Cassian: I suspect I wasn't the only Rogue One viewer to really like Cassian? He was great. His arguably edgy past provided a neat character arc and I shipped him and Jyn so hard. *Spoilers* Half the reason the ending saddens me, truth be told. :( *End of Spoilers* And I loooved the scene where he came sooo close to shooting Galen but didn't.
2. The Music
3. K-230: Star Wars's legend of lovable droids continues. :D
4. The Ending: It tied into A New Hope beautifully and that made me very happy. *Spoilers* That one part(the last frame of Cassian and Jyn part) of the ending did not make me happy at all. But it was a good sort of ending all the same because the characters had finished their goals and paved the way for the destruction of the Death Star. But it still is very sad. :( *End of Spoilers*
5. The Special Effects: Approved. :)
Well, this ended up being much longer than I expected. At least now you have a fairly comprehensive run-down of my impressions. It was a good movie, a sad movie, a funny movie, and a movie I want to see again.
And since we're on the subject, let's watch the teaser trailer again, because it was awesome:
Have you seen Rogue One yet? What are your thoughts?