Saturday, January 7, 2017

Thoughts After Seeing Rogue One(and the Preceding Trailers at the Theater)

(spoilers marked)

Well, something marvelous happened tonight. I saw Rogue One. Yuup.

Aaaand? It was pretty cool.

Let's take a minute first to talk about the trailers that showed before the movie. Because I have almost as much to say about those as the movie itself. :)



1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

I understand that the first movie(although I never saw it) likely had good acting, and funny moments, and cool effects, and all those other "good-movie" elements. It was a Marvel movie after all. This, on the other hand, just looks dumb. The poster in the theater did not impress me. The trailer did not impress me. (Okay, I guess young Groot was kind of cute, he was a baby tree), but everything else...*shakes head*

2. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Hmmm. First of all, isn't it interesting how Disney has digressed from family-oriented cartoons, to PG-13 pirate flicks?

Anyways, there's some interesting things in this trailer. First of all, it starts with a shot of lone ships; no people or talking. So right away all of the PotC fans start wriggling and thinking, It's the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie! and all the people who aren't so familiar with PotC(*raises hand*) are left to figure it out. It gets more and more obvious(and we see Brendon Thwaites), but nothing really refers to the original movie until Jack Sparrow is mentioned.

I'm not sure I'll ever watch this movie, especially as I haven't seen the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th movies, but I was impressed to see Brendon Thwaites, who was good in The Giver and briefly in Maleficient. So it was a good trailer I guess.

3. Carrs 3

Loved this trailer. It didn't even tell me the name of the movie, but I loved the trailer. End of story. :)

~~~

Also, I could probably talk for awhile about the Rogue One trailer, but thankfully for you, most of the things I would say are summed up nicely in this video by Josh Taylor from Blimey Cow, which I highly recommend you watch.

Now, to the movie:


(p.s. I can't promise this will all make sense to you if you haven't seen it yet, but hopefully some of it will ^.^)

What I Didn't Like(Or Couldn't Decide About)

1. Okay, I'm not sure how I feel about the digitalized resurrection of *Sort of Spoilers* Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher*End of Sort of Spoilers* 

There was a somewhat...fake quality to it that I don't know what to think about. It's crazy amazing technology, though, so I'll say that.

2. The Unnecessary Intensity/Violence:  One of my favorite things about the original Star Wars trilogy, and one of the reasons I was able to get in to it at all, is that it keeps the violence fairly kid-appropriate. I can watch 95% of the trilogy with my six year-old sister without much problem. (I realize that this isn't true for everyone, of course)

Comparatively, Rogue One is pretty intense. Much of the violence lands on the storm troopers, and although it's easy to forget they're people inside(storm troopers are people too, guys ;D), it's still a bit much. In my opinion.

It wasn't so violent that I found it inappropriate or "too scary" per se, I'm just questioning the necessity of all the storm trooper-flinging. But none of it was too graphic or disturbing, so all is good. :)

3. Jyn Erso: It's not that I disliked her development or background so much as I was disappointed with the makers for making her so...masculine. One of the great things about Princess Leia is that, while handling a gun, or rescuing Han Solo from Jabba the Hut, or all the other things she did, she acts femininely. Jyn wore leather and her hair in a *ahem* sad little knot, which was all well and good, but I felt like the makers were trying to make her "cool" through masculinity. Girls can be cool and feminine, you know. :) *rant over*



What I Did Like:

1. Cassian: I suspect I wasn't the only Rogue One viewer to really like Cassian? He was great. His arguably edgy past provided a neat character arc and I shipped him and Jyn so hard. *Spoilers* Half the reason the ending saddens me, truth be told. :( *End of Spoilers* And I loooved the scene where he came sooo close to shooting Galen but didn't.

2. The Music

3. K-230: Star Wars's legend of lovable droids continues. :D

4. The Ending: It tied into A New Hope beautifully and that made me very happy. *Spoilers* That one part(the last frame of Cassian and Jyn part) of the ending did not make me happy at all. But it was a good sort of ending all the same because the characters had finished their goals and paved the way for the destruction of the Death Star. But it still is very sad. :( *End of Spoilers* 

5. The Special Effects: Approved. :)

~~~

Well, this ended up being much longer than I expected. At least now you have a fairly comprehensive run-down of my impressions. It was a good movie, a sad movie, a funny movie, and a movie I want to see again.

And since we're on the subject, let's watch the teaser trailer again, because it was awesome:



Have you seen Rogue One yet? What are your thoughts? 

8 comments:

  1. Ohhhh there is so much good in this post and this comment will probably be like the length of an essay. Let's begin! ;)

    The trailers!! Ok so I went to see Rouge One a bit ago and saw like the exact same trailers.
    I agree with the Guardians of the Galaxy bit. I saw the first one, but I didn't really like it. It failed to make me emotional, or to teach a good point about friendship or loyalty or humility and such. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't good?! So the trailer for the second one looks fun, and goofy, and baby Groot is SO MUCH ADORBS! But it doesn't look like the same caliber as other Marvel movies.

    POTC!!! So that Trailer was a bit bland, but being a HUGE fan, I have theories. The young man who showed up, Brendon Thwaites, I believe is Will and Elizabeth Turner's son. Will is supposed to be coming back in this film, so it makes sense that his son who we saw at the end of the third film comes and sails with him. That being said I'm super siked for that film.

    And now for Rouge One: I agree with what you said about Jynn. It's not that I didn't like her, but compared to Leia, Padme and Rey she didn't seem impressive at all. She also didn't have that much motivation until the last 45 minutes of the film, which made me mad.
    I feel like the film makers introduced to many new characters, and weren't able to make them as well liked as others. They made a bunch of new people then didn't fill in any blanks and left us hanging. That being said they had a super tough job coming up with new characters who had to die by the end of the film. K-230 was funny, but other than his sarcasm, I didn't find him that interesting. Although it was sad *spoiler* when he dies *end of spoiler*. The CGI on Leia wasn't bad, but it looked fake to me.

    Jynn and Casian. YES!
    The music?? DOUBLE YES IT WAS STUNNING!!!!!

    Also in hindsight, I watched A New Hope the day after we saw Rough One, and things tied in soooo perfectly it was amazing.

    This was so good Meredith!! It's awesome to find someone else who has seen this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to see a comment from you! :D I've missed your presence in the Blogger realm. :)

      Yeah, who knows, GotG 2 might be better than the trailer makes it appear, but at this point I'm not pre-ordering tickets. ;)

      Ahhh, now there's a theory. I think he does look a little like Will Turner, so...

      Agreed. She also seemed extremely hardened by her rough history(which is understandable, I guess), so that she never said more than one sentence at a time for the first half of the film and she basically never smiled. But I really liked the one scene where she rescued the little girl. That was good. :)

      Yeah, Saw Gerrera, for example, was a little underdeveloped. But like you said they only had a single movie to work with, unlike the original and prequel series which were trilogies. Well, K-230 wasn't C-3PO, but it was sad when he died. It was sad when EVERYone died. :(

      YES again. :)

      Awww, I loved watching it all connect together. :D So perfect.

      Thank you!! Yeah, I'm glad I found someone to talk about it with!

      Delete
  2. Oh my soul that comment is huge. I'm so sorry XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't apologize! xD I love long comments. :)

      Delete
  3. I WILL COME BACK.
    But I'm strictly avoiding spoilers. But I will be back with (probably) longer thoughts if/when I see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO COME BACK. I need to talk with people about this. ;)

      But yes, wait till you see it first. Good plan.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you pretty much. I felt the movie went a little action heavy and didn't do enough with the characters. With that said, it's still better than the prequels so I am happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and yes. :) Less action and more character development would have been appreciated, but all in all I was content. :)

      (And of the prequels I've only seen The Phantom Menace, and yeah Rogue One was MUCH better)

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.