Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Two Broadway Beauty and the Beast Songs You Should Try

It's not too late to jump in on the Beauty and the Beast party! :)



As you are probably aware, there is a Broadway Beauty and the Beast musical which currently travels the country.

(What you may not be aware of is that Hugh Jackman once played Gaston in the Australian cast.)

But that is neither here nor there.

Actually, I wanted to highlight two songs from the musical which aren't in either of the Disney movies, but still deserve attention. :)

They are...

Home

Is this home? Is this what I must learn to believe in? Try to find something good in this tragic place? 



Belle sings this one. It has a nice melody, and fleshes out a little more what was arguably skimmed over in the cartoon: her internal processes after deciding to stay with the Beast. Essentially she acknowledges the undesirable circumstances, but resolves to make the best of them. But much more eloquently. ;) 

If I Can't Love Her

No beauty could move me, no goodness improve me, no power on earth, if I can't love her. 



A song from the Beast! We didn't get this in the cartoon, but we should have. It develops his enigmatic character, especially at a pivotal part of his arc. And it harks back to the prologue song, which is beautiful.

Honorable Mention: Me(sung by Gaston)

What are your favorite songs from the Broadway musical? 

14 comments:

  1. Until this week I didn't know there was a musical! How cool! I would like to see that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm glad to introduce something new for you. :)

      Delete
  2. I'd love to see Beauty and the Beast on broadway in New York! I don't "get" New York. I would only pretty much go for broadway and shopping, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun! Yep, Broadway would be a HUGE plus of New York. ^.^

      Delete
  3. I grew up watching the Disney version of Beauty and the Beast but I occasionally listen to the Broadway version on Pandora and I love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a coincidence! I just got my Beauty and the Beast - the musical post up, and then I see this one;)
    And even better - those 2 songs were the very first ones I listened to from the broadway musical and they were my 2 favourites for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sorry to steal your thunder!

      How funny! I will read that soon. :)

      Delete
  5. Actually, I didn't know there was a musical! I'll be listening to these songs for a while now. Thanks for sharing on this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had only seen the cartoon, which only has a few songs, but I just saw the new movie. I LOVE it ssoooo much!! It is one of my new favorite movies!!! There are so many more songs in there, I'm not sure if they are in the musical, but my favorite are: "Days in the Sun," "Evermore," and "I want Adventure in the Great Wide Somewere." I really like all the songs, so I can't really pick a favorite. I also really like "How can a Moment Last Forever." Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It's so fun, isn't it? If I understand correctly none of the new songs in the movie are from the Broadway musical, but they're beautiful nonetheless. :) "How Can a Moment Last Forever" especially.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Those two are some of my favorites from the musical as well. I was so surprised to hear they'd be leaving all the musical songs, even "If I Can't Love Her," out of the new movie because I figured that the only reason that could really exist for trying to improve on such a lovely movie would be to to include the additional songs. Oh, well. : ) Another favorite of mine is "A Change in Me." It is not on all the cast recordings, since it was added to a later production, but it's sung by Belle shortly before the Mob Song when she's trying to explain to her father what's happened to her in the time since she last saw him.

    "There's been a change in me: a kind of moving on; though what I used to be I still depend upon [...] For now I realize that good can come from bad. That may not make me wise - but oh, it makes me glad! And I - I never thought I'd leave behind my childhood dreams, but I don't mind; I'm where and who I want to be."

    Hope you don't mind me chiming in since I just found your blog and love Beauty and the Beast ever so much. :)
    Thanks,
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loooved to see "If I Can't Love Her" in the movie. *sigh* But the new songs were good too! Oh, I haven't heard that one, but I'm actually going to a rehearsal performance of the Broadway musical later this month, so maybe I'll get to hear it. :)

      I don't mind at all! I love BatB muchly as well. :)

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.