Monday, March 13, 2017

Why Belle Is My Favorite Disney Cartoon Princess

Day Three of the Beauty and the Beast Week! :D Today I'm discussing one of my favorite things about the Disney movie, Belle.





I prefer Belle to Mulan, I prefer her to (cartoon) Cinderella, and I prefer her to Snow White. She strikes a perfect balance between their flaws. Mulan practically abandons femininity, but Belle embraces it. Snow White and Cinderella fall into the damsel-in-distress stereotypes, but Belle can stand on her own to feet. By the end of the movie, Belle and the Beast had each saved each other's lives.

Also, I like Belle because I get her. She's the social outcast of her society and, while that isn't quite how I would describe myself, I'm no Gaston either. My interests often contradict societal norms, but like Belle, I'm usually okay with that.

And I love books. I love experiencing a good story again and again.



Lastly, despite my introversion, you could say I want "adventure in the great wild somewhere," in a sense. I want to dream big, even if I don't have any very specific aspirations at the moment.

And so, because of her femininity matched with capability and her similarity to myself, Belle is my favorite Disney princess.

(minus Lily James's Cinderella, who isn't a cartoon character) 

Who is your favorite Disney princess? Do you identify with Belle? 

13 comments:

  1. Great points! I agree with you on all of them!!

    Cinderella and Belle are my favorites becasue of how kind they are, Cinderella doesn't complain about doing all those chores, Belle gives up her freedom to save her fathers life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)

      True... I *do* like Cinderella, especially in the 2015 movie, but the cartoon one just doesn't make the cut. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes! Cinderella wasn't my favorite until the 2015 movie, Maybe with this Beauty and the Beast movie, I will like Belle even more than ever!

      Delete
  2. I always feel like I *ought* to identify more with Belle. But I identify most with Cinderella, who is kind and helpful throughout her story.

    My favorite Disney princess is actually Rapunzel because she is so cheerful and open and happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Cinderella is definitely someone good to relate with! I looove Lily James's Cinderella.

      Ooh, Rapunzel is good too!

      Delete
  3. My favorite animated princess is definitely Rapunzel. She's talented, relatable (read: overthinks things, makes mistakes), and sweet. I dislike the Mulan movies, they are SO femininist and too scary for Disney; but I love Mushu and the cricket. The film Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and Cinderella are rather flat and ditzy as characters (I think a result of those being made far earlier than the rest, particularly the former too and more like original fairy tales) and Jasmine and Ariel are brats. I think Belle is one of the more developed characters. I don't know if I had a favorite as a child or really could because we tended watch only the few we had. But the live action Cinderella will probably beat any disney girl for a long time because of her character. She was so more dynamic than either the Disney versions of any princess or other retellings like Ever After (although I still love that movie).

    As far as the stories. I think that the Cinderella story is my favorite among all those portrayed, but the Twelve Dancings Princesses is my favorite of all princess fairytale story lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Flat and ditzy"...yeah. :/ Yep, I agree Belle is one of the most developed(besides Rapunzel). Yay for the live-action Cinderella!

      Ooh, The Twelve Dancing Princesses should be a Disney movie someday!

      Delete
  4. I do believe my favorite princess is Belle, mostly because her love of books is so beautiful.

    By the way, I did get to read the original "Beauty and the Beast" yesterday (it was super quick!) and wrote my review on my blog today.
    http://inthebookcase.blogspot.com/2017/03/book-review-beauty-and-beast.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!

      Yay! I will read and comment soon. :)

      Delete
  5. My favorite Disney princess is Cinderella since 2015. :) And I like Rapunzel too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knowww. She's so PERFECT. <3 And her and Kit are absolutely adorbz. :D

      Yes, Rapunzel is fun too!

      Delete
  6. Belle is still my favorite Disney princess too! I loved her as a kid because she had brown hair like me and read books, also Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.