Saturday, June 10, 2017

Cinematic Excursions~ May

More movies to review! My watches were everywhere this month-- dystopia, Disney, and plenty of Marvel. xD

Avengers: Age of Ultron



This was good fun, but there were so many characters none of them get much development. The action scenes had way too much over-the-top and obviously fake CGI, which is a pet peeve of mine. Plus, all this hinting and foreshadowing-- like Natasha and Bruce's relationship-- that I don't really see being fleshed out and resolved satisfactorily in future movies tires me.

At the same time, I was particularly sleepy and even drooped off a bit while watching this and that never helps... (oops) So, conclusion, I wouldn't be averse to re-watching it before Infinity War or just for fun, but it wasn't my favorite.

Spider-Man 3

I'd read all the negative criticism the "experts" have thrown at this movie, and yeah, there were a lot of flaws and it probably would have worked better as two separate films, but it was still really good and entertaining, okay? ;)



Peter's "dark phase" was simultaneous fascinating and emotionally powerful and there were a number of scenes I genuinely enjoyed. But haters gonna hate, huh?

The Hunger Games




I liked this far better than the book. More focused, more interesting. The characters were likable, the visuals were often stunning, and some elements were truly frightening without being gratuitous. It inevitably hit some of the flaws from the book(unclear message, annoying love triangle etc.), however I'm definitely looking forward to watching the next installment.


The Amazing Spider-Man

Let me explain. :P I just "got into" Spider-Man a few months ago and I want to watch all of the pre-existing movies before the new one in July. So yeah, lots of Spider-Man. Sorry.


The Amazing Spider-Man with Andrew Garfield is-- as a movie and character-- in my opinion inferior to Spider-Man 2002. However, he's more relatable than the "goody-goody" personality of the Tobey MaGuire Spidey I love so much and he's much closer in disposition to the original from the comics, which should count for something. 

I didn't get the emphasis placed on his parents' history and the ending was. not. good. Overall I enjoyed the movie though. xD 


Suspicion 



Here's my thing with Alfred Hitchcock movies. I understand for myself and from the "critics" that they're technical masterpieces, but they just don't do much for me. The resolution was clever, but rather abrupt and I never felt super engaged. Cary Grant is good though. :D 


The Apple Dumpling Gang


I love everything about this movie. Doesn't everyone? ;)

Have you seen any of these? What were your favorite movies of May? Do you also love The Apple Dumpling Gang

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Apple Dumpling Gang!!! Tim Conway and Don Knotts should have been a team, I swear. Have you seen the sequel by chance?

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes. xD I have! I don't like it quiiite as much but it's still very entertaining. :D

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.