Wednesday, February 15, 2017

I Love Austen Week Tag

Hamlette is hosting a marvelous Jane Austen week right now and I am filling out the accompanying tag. I'll also be posting a review of Persuasion 2007 soon as well, so keep your eyes peeled for that. ;)



1. Which did you experience first, a Jane Austen book or a movie based on one? 

A play based on one! My mom took me to a local Pride and Prejudice when I was young and afterwards I got about five pages into the book and lost interest. xD  

Later she hosted a Sense and Sensibility movie night for the women in our church and I read about a third of the book in "preparation". (I didn't actually finish a Jane Austen book till I was 13)

Sooo, it's hard to say. I'll say book, but I didn't finish it until after I'd seen the movie. 

2. What is your favorite Jane Austen book? 

Pride and Prejudice.

3. Favorite heroine? Why do you like her best?

Probably Elizabeth Bennet.

I appreciate how independent she is and that she finds humor in people, because I do to.

4. Favorite hero? Why do you like him best? 

Mr. Darcy. He's kind and earnest and humble(well, by the end), and, to think, 10,000 pounds a year! :)

5. Do you have a favorite film adaption of Austen's work? 

Pride and Prejudice 1995. I really like the 2005 as well, but Mr. Collins wins the 1995.

6. Have your Austen tastes changed over the years? (Did you start out liking one story best, but now like another better? Did you think she was boring at first, then changed your mind? Etc. 

Yep! When I was younger I approached Austen very gravely, reading Pride and Prejudice very slowly over the course of many months. (My mom had suggested it)

Then I watched the movies and found the humor lurking behind every chapter. I learned to appreciate the satire and now I eat up the pretty romances. :)

7. Do you have any cool Austen-themed things(mugs, t-shirts, etc.)? 

Well, here is my small Austen library, including the beautiful annotated P&P:


  


And the P&P 2005 poster on my bedroom door...




8. If you could ask Jane Austen one question, what would you ask her? 

This is a bit nosy, but I would ask her to describe her idea of a perfect husband and which of her fictional heroes most closely resembles him.

9. Imagine someone is making a new film of any Jane Austen story you choose, and you get to cast the leads. What story do you want filmed; and who would you choose to act in it?

Good question. I would request a new Sense and Sensibility, with...

Anna Popplewell as Marianne,

Anne Hathaway as Elinor(even if she is a little too old),

Isabelle Allan as Margaret,

Meg Ryan as Mrs. Dashwood,

Richard Armitage as Colonel Brandon,

Matt Milne as Edward Ferrars(I'm only 60% percent sure about this),

and,

Tom Hiddleston as Mr. Willoughby.

That would be an awesome movie.

10. Share up to five Jane Austen quotations! 


Sir William: "There is nothing like dancing, after all. I consider it as one of the first refinements of polished societies."
Mr. Darcy: "Certainly, sir; and it has the advantage also of being in vogue amongst the less polished societies of the world; every savage can dance."

"You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope...I have loved none but you."~Captain Wentworth, Persuasion 

"She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me." ~Mr. Darcy

Mrs. Bennet: "You take delight in vexing me. You have no compassion for my poor nerves."
Mr. Bennet: "You mistake me, my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. They are my old friends. I have heard you mention them with consideration these last twenty years at least." 

 "Your portion is unhappily so small that it will in all likelihood undo the effects of your loveliness and amiable qualifications. As I must therefore conclude that you are not serious in your rejection of me, I shall choose to attribute it to your wish of increasing my love by suspense, according to the usual practice of elegant females." ~Mr. Collins
~~~

What is your favorite Jane Austen story? Who do you think I should have chosen for Edward Ferrars? 

12 comments:

  1. You have a P&P05 poster! I'm envious.

    I didn't start reading Austen until I was like 16 or 17, so you were way ahead of me. I'm impressed.

    Thanks for joining the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! :D

      Well, even once I did start reading her it was a few years before I really began enjoying it, but I'm glad we both do now. :)

      Thank you for hosting!

      Delete
  2. "She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me." ~Mr. Darcy
    I love this quote!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I love all of the banter and borderline insults between him and Lizzy at the beginning.

      Delete
  3. 4. Love your answer to this one! The way you described Darcy is perfect...and yes, let us not forget the 10,000 a year! Heehee. ;)

    5. Mr. Collins is definitely better in the 1995 version than in the 2005 one. I quite agree!

    8. YES! I'd love to know the answer to that one. :)

    10. So many fun quotes! That one of Mr. Collins, though! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite so! :D

      Isn't he? They're both good, but I laugh so often over 1995 Mr. Collins. "These stairs are perfect for a clergyman: not too gradual and not to steep." (or something of that nature) xD

      Yes...perhaps one of her fictional heroes, but which one??

      :D

      Delete
  4. O MY!!! You have a P & P poster!!! I'm jealous!!

    I can't choose which Jane Austen story is my favourite, got a lot. :)

    I don't know who Matt Milne is, so I actually can't judge what I think about him as Edward Ferrars.

    Loved you answers!!!! Sorry for the late comment, the week has been busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! *is happy because fellow P&P'05 fan*

      It's hard, isn't it? I've only read/seen three of her stories and it's still difficult to choose!

      Oh, Matt Milne plays Alfred in Downton Abbey. He's also in War Horse.

      Thank you! No worries! I love comments at any time. :) I'm off to read your tag answers now.

      Delete
  5. Funny, I put Anna Popplewell as Elinor, instead of Marianne!

    Good post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! I just want to see Anna Popplewell in SOMEthing good someday. :)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I'm intrigued by your casting of Tom Hiddleston as Willoughby! For as much as I love both the 95 and the 2008 S&S, I thought the Willoughby actors/lines left something wanting. I'm sure Hiddleston could deliver that combination of effortless charm and deception. I've seen more bloggers list him as suggestions for other Austen characters, and now I'm kind of wanting to see him in a role! xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all my choices, he is the one I'm probably most confident about. He's good at playing a pathetic but charming villain--like Loki-- and that's exactly Willoughby.

      Yeah, someone needs to do this movie now! ;)

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.